Sunday, March 13, 2011

Laughing Gull Portrait

Continuing with the Myrtle Beach pictures, I want to present to you the Laughing Gull. The Lauging Gull is a three year, hooded gull. This is an adult coming into full breading plumage. Note the bill is beginning to take on a red color. Many of the Laughing Gulls that I have seen, even in the summer months have black bills, which enters confusion because the majority of field guides show the summer adult having a red bill.

©2011 ShootingMyUniverse

On Cape Ann, we will see Laughing Gulls infrequently and in various plumages. Laughing Gulls are increasingly common as you travel further south. They are called Laughing Gulls because their long call takes on a characteristic laughing cadence.

Visit Camera Critters for more photos from the animal kingdom.

5 comments:

texwisgirl said...

He's beautiful. Love the stoutness of their bodies against those stick-thin legs...

Chris said...

that's a wonderful portrait Steve of a bird I would love to see... It is really beautiful!

BJ Roan said...

I've never seen a laughing gull. He's amazing. Great shot!

Kelly said...

...beautiful portrait, Steve! I always love hearing these guys because it means I'm out of Cincy and on a southern beach! Yeah!

Judy said...

if I keep reading all these birding blogs, I may even learn to tell the difference between some of these birds! Today, I saw the first redwing blackbird of the season! Spring is on the way!!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails