Saturday, February 26, 2011

Black Ducks in White Snow

During the winter, we get a lot of American Black Ducks on Cape Ann. And what can be more fun than shooting Black Ducks in white snow?

©2011 ShootingMyUniverse

Above is a male on the left and a female on the right. The dimorphic difference is primarily in the bill color.

American Black Duck 2-21-2011 11-42-53 AM-3

At first look, one may dismiss these ducks as Mallards, however when you see them side-by-side the differences are remarkable. Note the American Black Duck above and the Mallard below. The Mallard hen is also quite lighter in color overall. The wing bars of the ducks are strikingly different.

©2011 ShootingMyUniverse

Black Ducks and Mallards are notorious for interbreeding, so you may run into a Black Duck with a pale green top of the head.

Visit Camera Critters for more photos from the animal kingdom.

12 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Fantastic shot of the ducks and great for comparison id's.

Lorac said...

Lovely photos. I am glad you showed the two types.

texwisgirl said...

Beautiful!

ladyfi said...

Gorgeous detail in these shots! Lovely.

Gary said...

Great close ups!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

The first shot looks like decoys. Now I am wondering if they frequent the west coast as I don't think I've seen these before. Nope, just looked it up. Oh the power of the Internet.

Roy said...

It may be a lot of fun, but its very difficult and you certainly made it look easy Steve. Great detail.

chubskulit said...

Gorgeous!

Camera Critter Post at my page. Have a nice weekend!

MarieElizabeth said...

Beautiful photos!

sheila lynch said...

beautiful photos, I think I have mixed up mallard and black ducks, now I know:) thanks

VALKYRIEN said...

I have never seen a black duck, but the Mallard is very common at the lake near by where I live. Cute birds borh of them!

Johnny Nutcase said...

ducks and snow - that's cute stuff!

Related Posts with Thumbnails