Saturday, January 29, 2011

Gadwall

Every winter I get out to shoot some ducks which for me is a bit of a fools errand. I’m never quite pleased with the results, mostly because of the limitations of the lens. The next step up is quite the investment hence I have to push the envelope of the lens that I have.

One of my favorites is the Gadwall. My copy of The Dictionary of American Bird Names states, “The name Gadwall was formerly Gadel, Gadwall, Gadwale, Gadwell; origin obscure and etymology unknown. Perhaps it is connected with the AS [Anglo Saxon] gad, a point with reference to the fine tooth-like projections on the edges of the bird’s mandible.”  With respect to gad, I think that they were looking at the wrong end of the bird.

©2011 ShootingMyUniverse©2011 ShootingMyUniverse©2011 ShootingMyUniverse

This morning I saw a Thick-billed Murre in “the front yard”. He was swimming from Ten Pound Island towards Stage Fort Park and the Boulevard.

Visit Camera Critters for more from the animal kingdom.

15 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Steve, Nice series on the Gadwall. I would love to add a Murre to my life list.

texwisgirl said...

I think your lens (limits and all) does just fine! These are beautiful!

John S. Mead said...

Nice images here. I understand the lure of a new & more powerful lens....it's kind of like an addiction!

Thanks for sharing!

ladyfi said...

Wonderful colours and clarity!

Gary said...

Good detail on the birds!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Frank (aka FAB) said...

Always the perfectionist! Good shooting however you feel about the lens and you captured the fine vermiculation. At least you have some blue tones on the water .. it is still very grey over here. FAB.

chubskulit said...

Beautiful shot!

Three Horses, have a great weekend!

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Great shots, Steve!

sheila lynch said...

great shots! I can relate, hmmm, save for next car or camera lens, food or next camera lens, kids college or camera lens..........

Stacey Dawn said...

Hi Steve - thanks for the visit and comment! Love these shots - the lighting on them is stunning!

Marie said...

Well, I think the shots are beautiful and very peaceful -- I love ducks of all kinds.

Visiting via Camera Critters

Mike Simmons said...

Steve - we seem to always have that pull to better equipment but I agree with the others, your shots are great! I haven't been here in a while. Thanks for your comment today.

KaHolly said...

Nothing wrong with you lens on this day!! Great photos. How lucky to see the murre!!

Crafty Gardener said...

nice photos, I'm always wanting a better lens too

Johnny Nutcase said...

These are great! I rarely have luck with the ducks. Thumbs up on these, Steve!

Related Posts with Thumbnails