Friday, October 15, 2010

Forgotten Photo Friday, About Beer in Germany

I don’t drink a lot of beer, so when I do it has to be good beer. I do not have patience for overly-mass produced, watery swill that generally passes for American beer. So while traveling on business in Germany, I had an opportunity to try some local beers.

When you order a draught beer in the States, the bartender will poor the beer from spout and allow the head to pour down the drain. You are apt to get your beer in what ever the bartender had closest at hand. The Budweiser will most likely be plopped down on a Miller coaster. No, not in Germany.

My associates warned me. If I order a beer, be patient. The bartender will pour the beer and rather than waste the froth down the drain, will set it aside and let it settle before pouring the remainder. This may take five or ten minutes.

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

Take a look at this setup. The hotel that I stayed at served Licher Pils. Note that when you order a Licher, it comes in a Licher glassware.  The glass is filled to the 0.3L line (in this case) with the appropriate amount of head, with a Licher coaster and Licher foot liner.

 ©2010 ShootingMyUniverse ©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

This is not a civility reserved just for Licher. No, this is for all brands. I also tried the Bitburger, which if my memory serves me well, was a wheat beer and my friend had a Krombacher Pils. Each beer was poured with care and was served in the proper glassware with the appropriate beer’s coaster. Now haw gentile is that?

4 comments:

Al said...

Count me as part of the "good beer only" crowd. Unfortunately, last time I was in Germany I was too young to drink. But here in Colorado there are a lot of great microbreweries, which partly makes up for it!

Robin said...

You made me thirsty just reading and looking! I agree with you: gentile.
Cheers

Johnny Nutcase said...

mmm, good beer, yum! Interesting info. I approve of this beer serving technique. (and agreed, i dunno how people drink crappy beer).

Steve Borichevsky said...

Hi Al, I miss Breckenridge. Can't get it here. Boulder Beer was another, but then, I lived in the Boulder-Denver area.

Johnny, I just doesn't make sense, does it?

Yup Robin, but it's blustery here today. Warm apple cider is what's going to be pouring tonight!

Related Posts with Thumbnails