Saturday, September 11, 2010

Frame up! The Birth of the Pinky Ardelle

DSC_0054-2 Building a schooner in Essex is a big deal. Once birthplace to thousands of schooners, the Essex ship building industry waned in the 20th century and all but died after the depression. It is now kept alive by the Essex Shipbuilding museum and by eleventh generation shipwright Harold Burnham. Those of you that have been following me for a while may remember that I hopped aboard Harold’s pinky schooner, Maine last summer.

Monday, Labor Day, the Shipbuilding Museum and the H. A. Burnham Shipyard threw a big to-do. Harold is building a new schooner, the Pinky Ardelle and it was frame up day. Everyone was invited to sign the keel and see how the frames are made. Rather than show you just how little I know about shipbuilding I invite you to check out Harold’s blog to learn more.

 ©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

I do want to present to you a short slideshow to show you the process, see the people and just give you something else to think about other than bills, going to work or all those chores that are piling up because you spend too much time reading SMU.

3 comments:

Just Bill said...

Steve, I loved this post, especially the video. Well done as usual. I have signed up to read the blog of the ship builder.That is something I would never have imagined I would do.
Thank you for all of your photos that I enjoy every day. You have a great eye and perspective for your shots.
Thanks for exposing me to birds, butterfiles,bugs, light houses, boat, ships and the wonder of the ocean and your surroundings.
Hope I did not leave anything out, have a nice Sunday, Bill

Carol Mattingly said...

Well Steve I loved the video a lot. The guys did a great job of "framing up the keel". I love wooden boats. Thanks for posting this. Carol

KaHolly said...

I am always pleased to see someone embrace the old ways. Thanks. ~karen

Related Posts with Thumbnails