Saturday, September 4, 2010

After Earl

I’m sure you are all wondering how we faired after Earl. After watching the storm path charts for the last five days beginning with Earl being classified as a major hurricane off of Nantucket,  by mid week it was being downgraded to just a hurricane. By Friday, it was veering off east. By Friday night, it was downgraded to a tropical storm. Here in Gloucester it didn’t even kick up a breeze. We did get some much needed rain.

Hurricanes can get violent in New England, and although we haven’t gotten slapped hard since The Perfect Storm, it remains a danger. My father told me about the damage in all the way up into Vermont from the famous 1938 hurricane that hit New England.

Thankfully, Earl didn’t amount to much. This morning, there were some moderat breakers hitting the back shore and I went down to Eastern Point, not because of the waves, but because of the wonderful light. DSC_0026-1 DSC_0038-1

10 comments:

Robin said...

Nice shots! Those are moderate breakers! Wow.

Quilt Works said...

Very nice! I always wanted to take a photo of that lighthouse with big waves, but never made there at the right time. You did a great job!

Shirley said...

Magnificent shots of the breakers and lighthouse!

Roy said...

Well, glad your OK Steve and can get out and take fabulous images like these two.

Jenny said...

Very glad you got off lightly Steve! Lovely light and the colours in that wave are cool and minty! (-:

Al said...

Great wave shots. I'm glad that Earl didn't amount to much.

Denise said...

Spectacular shots Steve. Happy to hear all went well.
An English Girl Rambles

bunnits said...

Wow! Those are really something. I almost feel as though I'm just looking out my window.

Glad to hear it didn't do anything extreme up your way.

Judy said...

Gorgeous waves!! I am still waiting to hear how my daughter in Nfld fared...

Debbie Smith said...

Breathtaking!

Related Posts with Thumbnails