Saturday, August 14, 2010

To every thing, there is a season,

Tern! Tern! Tern! (Okay, you guys from the 60’s know where I going with this.)

As I stated a couple of days ago, the Common Terns are the stealing the show in Gloucester Harbor. I enjoy playing with the possibilities as I shoot these fascinating birds as they fly by at 30-40 MPH, trying to freeze the bird and get something uniquely Gloucester in the image.

Starting out, this is “The Enforcer”. You hockey fans know what I’m talking about. The enforcer is the guy on the team that will pick a fight with anyone he feels is out of line and smile all the while he is in the penalty box. Such was this guy. Terns are generally gregarious, but this guy decided that a certain area was his and he took on all comers.  

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

I got this tern with Rocky Neck in the background.

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

Looking towards Ocean Crest.

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

I’m not sure what we are looking at here…this tern was coming so fast, I didn’t have time to take notes!

DSC_0094

The Thomas E. Lannon. Now how Gloucester is that?

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

Check out last year’s Uncommon Tern post!

14 comments:

Mel Cole of PA, USA said...

Those are awesome bird pictures. I like the way you took a picture of it, it's very detailed. What birds are they? I haven't seen one like that here in Pennsylvania.

My 1st time to join CC. Have a great weekend!

My Camera Critter Entry

Carol Mattingly said...

Steve, Fantastic post. I'm the best at photographing birds in flight but you did a great job and the backgrounds only had to it. Carol

Steve Borichevsky said...

Hi Mel,
These are Common Terns, Sterna hirundo.

Thanks Carol, I'm looking forward to seeing more photos from "the other cape".

Jenny said...

Hi Steve, you've got some lovely shots here but for me the light in that third one down is just right!

Al said...

Great shots, the backgrounds definitely make them more interesting than if they were against a plain blue sky. But you've blurred those backgrounds just perfectly!

The Early Birder said...

I'm just happy to get the main subject in focus but you have the gift of adding the atmosphere plus far better waether than over here. Well done Steve. FAB.

noel said...

aloha,

what a beautiful view you are showing us today, i love your photos, wish i had some bigger lenses to capture this type of action.

my scenic sunday post is on my plant fanatic blog today :)

Judy said...

Steve, my favourite is the second shot! Something about the angle of his wings, and the background shapes!

Mike Simmons said...

Fantastic shots Steve! That last one is great!

Rajesh said...

Fantastic captures. Too good.

Chris said...

Excellent shots Steve. I agree, the tern are simply majestic and very nice to take pictures off... As a matter of fact, I totally forgot to get some shots of them this year ;-)

chubskulit said...

Beautiful shots!

Thistles and butterfly

Nikki-ann said...

Fantastic shots. Thanks for sharing these with us :)

Noemí Padrón said...

Ya, ya, ya he logrado ver a los charlanes :-)...Sí estas capturas estás FABULOSAS...Sí...sí...Muy muy buenas...

El post estaba debajo del de este año...Estoy algo lenta hoy jejeje...

Abrazotes

Noemí

Related Posts with Thumbnails