Sunday, August 29, 2010

Slate Shingles in Wetzlar, Germany

I grew up in the slate quarrying region along the Vermont-New York boarder, therefore I have an appreciation for slate roofs and the work that goes into making them. I was quite taken by the slate used to protect the buildings, cladding the roofs and sides.

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

This was the view from my hotel balcony.

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

Okay, check out this house. The lamp post is a testament that I was holding the camera correctly.  This house must have been built prior to the introduction of the plumb bob.

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

This building has may different types of shingles. There are even rosettes made of slate seen above the window with the woman tending her flower boxes.

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

Scenic Sunday

8 comments:

Al said...

Great shots - the textures are wonderful. I love the crooked house, I wonder what it's like inside?

Junneth said...

Wonderful Pictures! Scenic Indeed!

Chris said...

Beautiful shots Steve, these buildings are wonderful and very different from what I've seen so far ;-)

Chris Petrak said...

Wonderful images - and I like the way roof lines present so many different lines, images, thoughts. Thanks

Jenny said...

Even without your early background, I can see why the slate roof and shingles would facinate you. Wonderful shapes and textures.

Roy said...

That is a heck of a lot of work Steve.

Boccone Claire said...

De très belles photos:Bravo!
Amitiés de France:CLAIRE

Sam Gerrard said...

It is perfectly possible to install a slate roof as a lay person but this requires knowledge and skills. This article provides vital tips that will help you to go about it the right way. It also points out common mistakes which you should avoid at all cost.

Iko shingles

Related Posts with Thumbnails