Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Gloucester’s such a great place to bring the kids fishing.

At the very end of July and the beginning of August, we start to hear the raspy chattering of Common Terns over the inner harbor. One of the favorite places for shooting Common Terns in flight is down by Saint Peter’s Marina and over by the Seven Seas Wharf, just so happens to be in my neighborhood.

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse©2010 ShootingMyUniverse ©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

Here are the hungry kids waiting for some fresh sushi. I’ve never see so many at this one spot which is on the pilings behind the hardware store. What a relaxing way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Shooting swift flying birds diving for fish amongst the boats. While some may find it taxing, I find it relaxing. I would imagine it is like golfing. You never get the perfect shot. (But you’ll never find me throwing my camera in the drink! Maybe you will hear me muttering something under my breath.)

Visit Watery Wednesday

18 comments:

Mojo said...

I spent several days at Carolina Beach in June watching ... various kinds of birds I couldn't identify (literally) hover over the breakers and then fold up into a vertical dive and come out with a fish. No matter how many times I saw them do it, it still astonished me that they could spot such small fish from 2 or 3 feet up or more when I didn't see one and was right on top of them. Fascinating to watch. Even for a non-birding type like me.

Cindy said...

Terns are indeed fun to watch. I love the second and third shots especially, Steve.

The Early Birder said...

God forbid the gear should ever get wet!! Taxing..frustrating but still fun..well done Steve.

saint atlantis said...

What beautiful photos! Cape Ann does have some interesting birds. I saw a Wilson's storm petrel two weekends ago.

Carol Mattingly said...

Steve, I was expecting kiddos in the photos but quickly realized you meant the younguns i.e. birds. Love the second image. Carol

2sweetnsaxy said...

Wow, such great shots... as usual. :-) I can almost hear the terns as they fly. I have some nice shots of them but none quite as sharp and clear as that second one of yours. Awwww-sum!

Tin said...

great shots especially the second one.

Siromade said...

Nice treat for the bird, beautiful photo of those birds standing on the wooden bar and fantastic shot of 2nd photo.

J Bar said...

Great shots.

Photo Cache said...

superb shots.

www.ewok1993.wordpress.com

Judy said...

I love the water in the middle shot!! It makes a perfect background for the tern and his catch!

michael said...

That tern with the fish is a stunning photo. Great bird in flight shot.

Shey said...

Fantastic capture of the bird with his catch. Cool capture shot. Love the reflection in the water too. :)

Manang Kim said...

Fantastic shot!! Love the 2nd shot I see the fish tail ^_^

WateryWednesday

Tricia said...

Fantabulous capture w/ the fish in tow...

Mel Cole of PA, USA said...

What a fantastic picture you got, I'm impressed of how you got the details. I love it! The birds, what are those kind of birds? I thought they're sea gulls. I love the one that caught a fish! BTW, I followed you here today.

Watery Wednesday at Presque Isle

Rossel said...

all three pictures are beautiful but I love the second one the most. perfect!

btw, i am now following you.

Vita Stunder said...

I just love the second shot!
Wonderful work!

Related Posts with Thumbnails