Friday, July 2, 2010

Skimmer mystery

I ran into this little lady on a walk last week and had a tough time deciding what she is.Dragonfly, Slaty Skimmer 6-18-2010 11-21-22 AM

Moth 6-18-2010 11-17-14 AM

Then last Saturday Morning in Topsfield, I ran into this business going on in the bushes.

Dragonfly, Slaty Skimmer 6-19-2010 8-42-58 AM

Sure enough, it is the same bug species!

Dragonfly, Slaty Skimmer 6-19-2010 8-43-52 AM Dragonfly, Slaty Skimmer 6-19-2010 8-42-00 AM

Mystery solved! Here is her Beau. She’s a Slaty Skimmer.

8 comments:

Arija said...

Whatever else she may be, she certainly is cute.

The Early Birder said...

Skimmers everywhere you look at the moment. At least I don't have so many species to ID!!
Excellent images Steve. Have a great weekend...FAB.

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Such the voyeur you are, Steve. A little privacy, please? LOL! AMAZING images, as always.

Roy said...

Lovely macros Steve. Where do you get all that light from.??

Steve Borichevsky said...

Hi Roy,
I'm shooting a lot of my dragons on brightly lit days in open areas. These were on the edges of ponds so light isn't a problem. It is just a matter of positioning the sun to my back and shooting.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I am pleased you solved the mystery Steve. I have found that in dragonflies the males and females can be vastly different in color so it can be pretty confusing.

This reminds me of a story - many years ago when I was still a tour guide I had a women exclaim that she saw one type of buck suckling on another just because her foal was so different in color to the adult female. :)

Greyscale Territory said...

Love how you have captured the beautiful detail of the wing patterns! Stunning!

Whitemist said...

I always enjoy your photos!

Related Posts with Thumbnails