Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Quechee Gorge

Along the way to Stowe is Quechee, one of five unincorporated villages in the town of Hartford, Windsor County, Vermont. It is the site of the Quechee Gorge on the Ottauquechee River. The bridge spans the 165 foot deep gorge along Rt. 4 on the east side of Vermont.

Quechee Gorge 7-3-2010 10-11-52 AM Quechee Gorge 7-3-2010 10-17-23 AM

I grew up on the west end of Rt. 4 in Rutland County. Quechee was an exotic place that seemed so far  away. In Vermont, going from the west side of the state to the east side is usually via some twisting and winding road. In fact it was only about 65 miles from my home. As we grow older, our worlds seem to become smaller.   Quechee Gorge 7-3-2010 10-14-02 AM

Looking under the bridge, it appears to be in fine shape. I have not been to Quechee since my grammar school days. It has retained its great New England charm.

3 comments:

ksdoolittle said...

Certainly gives one pause to gaze upon these extraordinary photos.

Mary said...

I love Vermont. We honeymooned on a lake near Chittenden over 30 years ago. I'm thinking that Simon Pearce, the glassblower and pottery company, is somewhere near Quechee Gorge...?

Beautiful shots of the bridge!

A New England Life said...

Dang, I don't think my first comment went through. If it did, just delete this one.

Wonderful area and I'd love to go back! However, the height really bothers me so there's no way I could get out there and take pictures. Good for you Steve. Such a gorgeous area.

Related Posts with Thumbnails