Sunday, July 25, 2010

Double Diamond Day

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse Becky and I took a trip up to Stowe, Vermont and made our way up the Toll Road, to the top of Mount Mansfield, Vermont’s highest mountain at 4439 feet.

The Long Trail, a long distance hiking trail that extends the length of Vermont and is part of the Appalachian Trail System passes along the ridge of Mount Mansfield.

I had been up to the top of Mansfield a couple of times when I was in my 20s. This was the first time I have been back since I moved out west.

I have been to the alpine tundra regions of a few mountains in my day. Mount Mansfield does remind me of the Krummholz habitat of the mountains of Colorado.   ©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

Stowe is a famous ski region in the North East, arguably some of the best skiing. I don’t know, I never had the do-re-me when I was younger for alpine skiing. I used to cross-country ski and I did ski up (yes, up)  from Stowe to this very spot along the Toll Road. But I certainly did NOT ski up this double diamond trail and I sure as hell didn’t ski down it. The resort show in the mid-ground is the where we stayed at during our visit.©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

Looking west, you can see Lake Champlain and the Adirondack Mountains of New York. Looking east, you can see from the center of Vermont all the way over to the White Mountains in New Hampshire as seen below. ©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

This Black-and-white Warbler Blackpoll Warbler poked his head out for just a second and I was able to squeeze off a lucky shot. This was a TRIPPLE DIAMOND DAY for sure! Thanks Chris for pointing out that I had a photo life bird that almost slipped through my fingers!!!! Chris writes the ever informative Tails of Birding blog.©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

Another summer resident on top of Mansfield is the White-throated Sparrow which has the sweetest song of all the sparrows. This little guy is just chil-laxing in the shade.

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

Scenic Sunday

10 comments:

hip-chick said...

I love Vermont. We do a family summer vacation there every year. I always think I would like to move there but then I realize I would miss the ocean...and then I remember winter.

Chris Petrak said...

Nice series - your lucky shot of the warbler was luckier than you imagined. It looks like a Blackpoll Warbler, boreal species we only get at high elevations, though I have seen them along the coast in winter plumage just before they begin their marathon migration to SA.

Lesley said...

I have fond memories of visiting Stowe... I really must go back with a camera!

JM said...

Great post! I especially enjoy the open beak bird shot.

noel said...

Aloha,

I liked how you captured your telephotos of this warbler, also love the vista shots of the area, thanks for sharing.

help me decide on a photo for my scenic sunday on my sari blog,i'm submitting this for a competition
thanks

The Early Birder said...

Good to see you giving the legs some uphill exercise! Great views and congrats on the photo lifer.

Craig Glenn said...

Great shots. Love the white throated Sparrow!

Craig glenn

Johnny Nutcase said...

Nice, Steve. Looks like a great time. it's been a long time since I've been to that area...should go again soon maybe, hmm. Excellent warbler shot!

Carol Mattingly said...

Fantastic images Steve. And I like the bird image too. I love it when we catch birds in the midst of singing and what not. I've been to Vermont but never on top of one of the mountains there other than driving through the White Mountains whilst the clouds were all around me. Hiking, didn't hike. Just drove. Carol

Eve said...

Beautiful scenery Steve! Wow wish I was there!

Related Posts with Thumbnails