Saturday, July 3, 2010

Blue Dasher on Timothy

The Blue Dasher is one of the more common dragonflies in this area. This is a female. I shot these at my third favorite dragonfly locations. It has a sunny, narrow swatch next to a wooded vernal pool. Usually the dragons perch on a dead stock of left over from the previous year. This little lady was fond of timothy. I just couldn’t resist.Dragonfly, Blue Dasher 6-29-2010 11-54-51 AM Dragonfly, Blue Dasher 6-29-2010 11-55-28 AM DSC_0069

If dragonflies could smile, I think this one would. She was swinging in the breeze. I’ll spare you the details of the technical challenges and just say that I squeezed of about 20 shots to get this one.

9 comments:

Valerie said...

Spectacular!!

Chris said...

Wow that's a magnificent beast and the second shot is simply breathtaking! Wonderful set Steve.

Jenn Jilks said...

Professional work, of course. Don't you love digital? I remember printing reams of film in the good old days. Thank you for visiting My world !

Samson said...

superb photo's steve, second one is breathtaking

The Early Birder said...

Didn't she perform well for you!
Challenges...tell me about it. FAB.

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

I'm in awe and bow in your general direction. Spectacular shots.

Roy said...

Fantastic macros Steve, the second one in particular.

VALKYRIEN said...

Most beautiful shots! Crispy and beautiful of this magnificent insect! I know what you are talking about - I took some shots of one too some days ago!

And thanks, for you kind visit when my dog died. I appreciated it very much!

Judy said...

She is almost irridescent!!! Beautiful shot!! And if it took you 20 tries to get that shot, I don't feel so bad when I end up doing the same thing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails