Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Confederation Bridge

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse We were a little short-changed on our stay in Charlottetown, PEI.  You see, the tide was rising and we had to get the Maasdam under the Confederation Bridge. We needed a six meter clearance between the bridge and the stacks in order to pass under the bridge. The Confederation Bridge joins the eastern Canadian provinces of Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick. The 8 mile long bridge is the longest in the world crossing ice-covered water. The pilings of the bridge are designed so when ice pushes against it, the ice is thrust upwards and broken relieving the stress.

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse©2010 ShootingMyUniverse©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

I opted for the bow to take this shot. Once we were through the bridge, our pilot left us and returned back to Charlottetown.  We than had a long 40 hour sale to Quebec City.

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse©2010 ShootingMyUniverse©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

So we sat out on our veranda and shared a glass of wine while the world floated by. When we returned, we found a new friend waiting for us.

 

Visit Watery Wednesday

13 comments:

hip-chick said...

Beautiful. But since I have this love/hate thing with bridges I think I would rather pass under that one than drive over it! Eight miles! I would need to drink my wine first and be a passenger.

Erica Houskeeper said...

I agree with hip-chick! I think I would feel a little nervous driving eight miles over the bridge. As far as going under the bridge, that would be easier. Maybe it's just the perspective in your photo, but it looks like the boat just squeaked through. In any case, great photos. Looks like you guys had a fun-filled trip!

Chris said...

Wow that's a big bridge man!! Very impressive... I love your shot with the wind mills and your new friend seemed to be happy ;-)

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Wow! Your bow shot was amazing! Great positioning on your part! I'm not squeemish about riding on a bridge, except I would prefer someone else drive so that I could look around, watch for boats and whatnot. Thanks for taking us along!

The Early Birder said...

No fun breaking down half way across!! Nice positioning and clever perspective from the bow.

Greyscale Territory said...

An astounding bridge! Love all the perspectives! Quite dramatic! And especially love the bow shot! The boat seems to loom out of the photo!

eileeninmd said...

Great shots, Steve! Love the shot from the bow! I also like seeing the bridge from the distance too.

J Bar said...

What an amzingly long bridge.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Carolyn Ford said...

Oh, what a gorgeous bridge. And, it's balancing on a single row of supports rather than two. That is beautiful. I would drive across it in a heartbeat! I love the bridges in the Keys of Florida...they are another set of beauties!

Eve said...

Wow that is just amazing Steve. I'm glad you took the photo from the bow! Perfect. The wind farm looks very northern NY. Since I left they have covered up much of the St. Lawrence with them mostly on the Canadian side.

Limar said...

Wow, what a bridge! Very nice photos :)

Jay Albert said...

Great trip.... Great Images!
My wife would love a 40 hour sale in Quebec City while I would enjoy a 40 hour sail aboard a cruise ship like that!

2sweetnsaxy said...

Great shots of the bridge. I really like the length of it in the first shot. And don't you just love those towel animals!? :-) How cute! Our steward once put my sunglasses on ours. :-D

Related Posts with Thumbnails