Monday, May 31, 2010

Bugs, Birds and Butterflies. My Comfy Zone.

   Yes folks, I’ve been shooting wildlife since Moses was floating down the Nile in a basket.  It’s my comfy zone.

I took a little excursion to my favorite pond in Ipswich, Massachusetts to see what dragons are out and about.  This damsel fly looks to be fairly young and still quite translucent.

Damselfly 5-29-2010 9-16-00 AM

Deeper into my comfy zone are birds.  I finally got a half decent shot of a Northern Cardinal in Essex.

Cardinal 5-29-2010 10-25-55 AM

An area that I’m learning more about are butterflies (as well as the dragons and damsels).  This Cabbage White is getting a sip of nectar not 50 yards from where I shot the Cardinal.

Butterfly, Cabbage White 5-29-2010 10-05-23 AM 

Yep, I’m operating in my comfy zone.  Don’t you think it’s time to shake it up a bit?  Tune in tomorrow and find out what happens when I stumble into a photo shoot with the wrong gear in a genre that I haven’t shot in since high school and a subject matter that I know nothing about.

11 comments:

A New England Life said...

Yes, it's definitely your comfort zone but you're so good at it!

Can't wait to see whats coming up next!

Just Bill said...

Steve, to say I like your photographs would be a understatement at the least.
I have been with your blog for over a year or more and admire your work.
I love the water, waves, the beach, sunsets and birds. I have also developed a liking for insects.
Thanks for sharing with us.
I will await with anticipation your post for tomorrow. You certainly set the hook into me with your closing comment today.
Thanks again, Bill

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

I understand all to well about ones comfort zone, which was just out of my reach this week during graduation, etc. Indoors stuff isn't my bag and, well, it pays to ... pay a professional in most instances. It's not the equipment but the person behind it that makes a difference. Sorry...I digress. Love all your nature shots, Steve.

Erica Houskeeper said...

These are beautiful photos Steve. Comfort zone or not, your photos are stunning. I'm intrigued about your next post! Sounds fun. Looking forward to it.

Marianne said...

Something tells me you'll do just fine!

Eve said...

Oh that will be really interesting Steve!
Great shots in the comfort zone. I LOVE the Martins below!

Roy said...

You certainly didn't stumble into these shots Steve. The first one is technically perfect and the clarity of the cabbage white is breathtaking.

Arija said...

Nice post, I am all agog for tomorrow's exciting adventure. It is like a boy's own adventure story.

Kerri said...

I LOVE your comfy zone Steve!! The cardinal is super! I saw a translucent damsel on Sunday. I find those soooooo hard to focus on. What kind of field guide are you using to ID the dragons and damsels?

I of course LOVE the butterfly! In the summer there isn't quite anything that compares to a beautiful butterfly :)

Steve Borichevsky said...

Thanks All, I hope I don't dissapoint!

Hi Kerri, I have a copy of A Field Guide to the Dragonflies and Damselflies of Massachusetts, 2nd edition by Nikula, Ryan, Burn.

There is another pretty good guide I saw yesterday at the Mass Audubon book store, It was a field guide for dragons and damsels for Wisconsin.

I haven’t been able to find a good one for North America, but I’m still looking!

ksdoolittle said...

Sweet shot of the cardinal! ~karen

Related Posts with Thumbnails