Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Baltimore Orioles

The Baltimore Orioles generally reside in the canopy of the hardwoods, but when the females play hard to get, they will test the male’s courage.  This young lady dropped down thirty feet in front of me.  Perhaps she was testing her suitor or perhaps she was just trying to get away.

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse ©2010 ShootingMyUniverse ©2010 ShootingMyUniverse ©2010 ShootingMyUniverse©2010 ShootingMyUniverse ©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

Unimpressed with his display, she gave him a sharp peck and sent him packing.

10 comments:

grammie g said...

Beautiful bird they are and during mating season they sing so loud I can hardly make out others birds songs!! Mating rutuals can be comical!!!

covnitkepr1 said...

I love following blogs that capture God's creation as well as you have managed to do.
I’ve enjoyed looking over your blog. I came across it through another blog I follow, and I’m glad I did. I am now a follower of yours as well. Feel free to look over my blog and perhaps become one as well.

mmennonno said...

Poor guy. He's working so hard and she's not giving him the time of day. She looks awfully lonesome in that last shot, though ...

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Good girl!! Can't just take the first one to turn up you know!! LOL!!

Wonderful action shots Steve. I can almost hear his pleading. :)

Roy said...

They certainly are a beautiful bird Steve.

Zach Zimmerman said...

Someone has some time on their hands. I have actually never seen a real oriole. Are they bigger than a robin?

Chris said...

HI Steve,
What a wonderful post with superb pictures... I love the ones in which they are kind of arguing... This is a beautiful colored bird and you got nice shots. Well done!

The Early Birder said...

A blatant 'teaser' but gorgeous colours. FAB.

Erica Houskeeper said...

Great shots Steve! Interesting how she played hard to get or maybe even tried to fight him off. Maybe he wasn't her type. :)

MaineBirder said...

Excellent series Steve! Hope the pair are sucessful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails