Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Spring

I had hoped to get to Vermont during the sugaring season. But weather here the week before I was in Shanghai and the week after prevented me for getting out. Two weeks later, the season is over. But that is how I remember it in Vermont when I was young. If the season went into April, it was a long season.

Talk in Southern Vermont was that the season was very short, about two weeks. Thus the sugar houses are still, as they are for the best part of the year, save for storing wood. There is nothing to do now but pull the buckets and spouts, stow the gear and start packing wood for next year.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

But take heart, all over Vermont and New Hampshire there will be little shops along the way that will have maple syrup. We secured our supply for the year. There seems to be a lot of Grade A available. For me, this is the best. Fancy is too thin and usually commands a higher price (and is meant for the tourists).

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

7 comments:

Eve said...

It's a long but sweet process! Love the real thing!!!

Johnny Nutcase said...

That is a short season. I've only been to Vermont once, wanna go back! Glad you got your supply :) I love those old barns/sheds.

Kay said...

Old barns are always such a great photo subject.

A New England Life said...

Cool buildings! Where are they located Steve? Or is it one building from different angles?

The syrup I bought at the local Sugar house was grade B. He said they didn't get much grade A this year.

Whitemist said...

Love the barn! they always are such great pictures!

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

One day I'll experience the REAL thing and not the tourist drivel. Lovely images.

chasity said...

love these rustic old buildings.

Related Posts with Thumbnails