Monday, April 12, 2010

Palm Warbler

Warblers have odd names.  The Tennessee Warbler which just migrates through Tennessee, the Prairie Warbler which is more at home in the forests of the eastern United States than on the prairie and the Palm Warbler that nests up in Canada.  I looked in my copy of The Dictionary of American Bird Names to see why this cheery little fellow is called Palm Warbler.  The book states “as first describer probably found it in palm trees in Hispaniola.”  Okay, I’ll capitulate.  This bird does winter in the Caribbean. Palm Warbler ©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

My specimen was found Saturday migrating by a vernal pool in Dogtown.  I’m really excited about this picture because in the woodsthere can be lighting problems.  Plus, warblers are do not have time to sit around looking pretty.  This little animal has to keep his energy up and get up to Canada and have a family.  Good luck and thanks for stopping by Gloucester for a meal.

7 comments:

Chris said...

How cool Steve...
nice from him to pay you a visit... nice sighting and nice picture of it, not so easy to get a very nice picture of a vagrant ;-)

Stacey Dawn said...

What gorgeous color and detail in the fur. Like the composition, too!

Roy said...

Thats a great capture Steve.

Johnny Nutcase said...

awesome! Excellent shot of the little guy. Migration here just doesn't exist, I'm convinced. I miss my warbler woobler friends!

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Beautiful bird and lucky capture! Thanks for sharing, Steve!

Eve said...

You really did get this one just right Steve. I didn't get to see the Palm go through here this year...must not be on their path.

eileeninmd said...

Awesome shot of the Palm Warbler. Is this an early sighting, I hope I am not missing them coming thru my state.

Related Posts with Thumbnails