Saturday, April 24, 2010

I’ve got a complex

I took a walk in Dogtown today.  I’m happy to say that there are definite signs of spring.  Like this Eastern Tailed-Blue butterfly that I saw.  I thought that was pretty cool.  Then I saw this pair flutter down to the ground and started doing it in the dirt.

©2010 ShootingMyUniverseWhen I verified the identification of the Eastern Tailed-Blue above, I noticed that the two below were not Eastern Tailed-Blues.  (See the underside of the Eastern Tail-blue from last fall.)

The Spring Azure Complex 4-24-2010 11-53-6

The closest identification that I can make is what is called “The Spring Azure Complex” in my field guide.   Thinking back on my walk, I did notice that there were two sizes of little blue butterflies fluttering about.  My romantic couple above were extremely cooperative.  I photographed them with my Cannon point-and-shoot set on digital macro from just a few inches. This is the first bug-shot that I’ve taken with the Cannon and I’m quite happy.

The Eastern Tailed-Blue above was shot with my 80-300 at 300mm from about 5 feet which is the minimum focus distance.  I’m looking forward to more opportunities to shooting dragons with the point and shoot.  My main complaint is that it is difficult to get the camera to execute my intentions.  It likes to think it knows what is best to center the attention on and would be just as happy to focus on a pebble off to the side.  A case in point, when I shot the photos for Hotel Food, the camera kept trying to focus on the pictures of the faces behind food which was the main subject. (One of its main “features” is face recognition.)  My Nikon D80s would never pull a crazy stunt like that!

12 comments:

Stacey Dawn said...

Fabulous detail for your Canon. Gorgeous color!

Eve said...

Yep I think you have a complex too Steve! Great photos with both cameras!

LadyFi said...

Wow.. that blue butterfly is just gorgeous!

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful captures, Steve! I love the color on the first butterfly.

dAwN said...

Those are some gorgeous butterflies..
Great shots Steve!

Roy said...

Fabulous shots Steve. Reference the camera you should be able to set a "Centre" focus point.

Jane said...

Great images Steve, the Macro lens is good. You need to take your camera out of Face Priority and back to Auto AF mode and if you camera has it, Food Scene Mode when taking Food, its Macro focus but designed for food.

nonizamboni said...

Great captures. And that blue is heavenly. So, in spite of technical difficulties, you have shared some real beauty--thanks!

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

I think these outstanding - both, in their own way!

Kelly said...

...I love those tiny little blue butterflies. I've never been able to photograph one, though. It's lovely. Also...seeing the shadow below him is really cool.

A New England Life said...

I have to say, my camera does that quite frequently when I'm trying to shoot a bird in a tree, or something similar. It doesn't focus as quickly as I need it too, either. The other day I was actually looking at a d80 with two lenses on Craigslist.

Sounds like overall your little point and shoot has been a good investment though.

Kerri said...

WOW ~ these are FABULOUS!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails