Sunday, March 21, 2010

Herring Gull Photo Study

This is how we usually think of Gulls. Noisy, boisterous creatures.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Perhaps if you get them in the right light, you can see something else.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

The tip of the day is to take time with you subject. Even a Herring Gull can be an interesting subject. If you have a bird that is willing to sit still for you, take advantage of it. I say it over and over that I see thousands of gulls. I could have just passed this one as just another common, trite subject. But by looking over the background, playing with the settings on the camera and taking the time to watch, you can get a shot that nobody has seen before.



Visit Camera Critters

14 comments:

peppermint said...

What a nice series of pic. The gull is matching with blue background.

Roy said...

Yes you can Steve, an enormous amount of detail. Superb images.

Nikki-ann said...

A very useful tip and a wonderful set of photos :) Thanks for sharing.

Kathy said...

Ah, yes, patience! Something so many of us lack these days living in such a fast-paced world.

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Pretty, Steve. They do have a good side, don't they?

A New England Life said...

A perfect model! I think it's singing you a song, Steve!

Hey, did you hear about the Mew Gull here in Exeter? I met a guy yesterday from VT who was looking for it. Apparently it's been spotted several times. Wouldn't you like to photograph that?!

http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NHBD.html#1240764059

Chris said...

Totally agree on what you said Steve, it is sometime important to take time with the subject if this one does not fly away ;-) You got a wonderful series of this guy! Well done! You are giving ideas for my next birding tour ;-)

Jenny said...

I love your tutorials Steve. More please..... (-:
I got the opportunity to do just what you've advocated here last week with a Black Swan and Egyptian goose. Hope to post those soon.

Stacey Dawn at "Addicted to The Click" said...

Nice images and great reminders... thanks for sharing! I'll try to remember to keep that in mind next time I'm trying to click animals!

TonyC said...

Nice sequence steve - that is why I have 100's of pelican pics - you never know when you're going to get that $1,000,000 shot!!

Kelly said...

...I loved your study. The closeup of the eye is gorgeous--all the patterns showing in the eye are so interesting and beautiful (the coloring on the bill is also).

Eve said...

Great light, photos and a cordial subject!

Susan W. said...

I agree, also. The more I learn about gulls, the more I like them. My interest was first piqued when my husband got a shot of a Gull catching a small SHARK on the cape last summer. I was thrilled to get pics of a rare Lesser Black-backed Gull at South Beach in the fall. Familiarity breeds contempt, as usual. If they were as rare as Eagles, we would probably find them noble. Go figure.

Judy said...

He has such pretty eyes! I have never been close enough to a gull before to see that!! Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails