Monday, March 22, 2010

Faces from Shanghai

This is how my generation was brought up to perceive the Chinese. And let this be a lesson to you, where this may look like stern, authoritarian security figure getting a person to move along, in reality, this security guard and shopper were having a cordial conversation.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse


I put together a collection of people shots which is a departure from my normal photographic activities. I love taking candid photos and with the little spare time that I had, I wanted to capture some of the faces of Shanghai.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse


On our Saturday sight-seeing day, we took walk along the Huangpu River near the Financial District. This area used to be the home of shipyards and this anchor commemorates that heritage. Since it was the only monument along that section of walk, many people gravitated to it just to get their photo taken with some landmark, much like our Man at the Wheel statue. I could not resist snapping a few pictures of this young girl as she posed for her parents.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse


At one of our dinners out, we had a fruit plate delivered to the table for desert. Our waitress was pleased to be asked to pose with the fruit plate. I just could not resist the colors and form with the fresh face. During the trip, I was able to try many new foods, including the fruit, if you take a close look, the white fruit with the pink rind. It was much like watermelon, but not as sweet. It was very watery and refreshing.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse


This is a shot of the man that officially invited me to China. When you travel to China on business, you need a business visa. To get a business visa, you must be invited by a business in China, expressing who, what, where, when and why. Here he is getting our group lined up for a photo. His is fluent in Mandarin, German and English. (Okay you Americans, how many languages do you speak?)
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse


This is just a random shot of a street vendor.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse


On the last morning of my stay after the business emails were handled and before catching the taxi to the airport I had a little walk around time. I thought I had better because I had a 14 hour flight to Newark, NJ and another hop to Boston. Yes, it would be a long day.

This is one of the last photos I took in Shanghai. While walking about I heard children's music coming from a school yard. I had reach over a six foot hedge to get this shot of preschool children exercising.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse


I could have worked with these kids for hours but I only took two shots. After all, I was a stranger in a strange land. Imagine me trying to explain Shooting My Universe to someone wondering who was hanging about a schoolyard snapping pictures of children? But look at these kids! They are too cool.

10 comments:

Eve said...

Thanks for showing us this part of the world Steve!

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Very enjoyable excursion into a new world. Thanks!

SD - Addicted to The Click said...

Awesome pics - love the colorful scenes and cheery faces!

Matty said...

I really enjoyed this little tour. I like seeing and learning about other cultures. The candid shots are always nice.

Chris said...

Hi Steve,
I enjoyed this post very much. It is bringing a new culture into our house, and realize how the world is reach of many different people!!! Thanks for sharing this very special trip with us!

Roy said...

Hey Steve, I agree with the sentiments behind your comments about the Chinese people. There is a lot of bad propaganda spread about by the media and persons with ulterior motives about China. I must declare a vested interest as my Daughter in Law is Chinese and she not only speaks her native tongue, but English exceptionally well, some French and Japenese as well. At least you could take those photos of the children, in the UK you would probably get arrested for doing so.

Mike Simmons said...

Very interesting Steve, thank you! It's amazing how your shots in China look much like the US, Starbucks and all! Nice shot of the kids too! The lady facing the camera looks like she's on to you. The third shot might have put you over the edge!

Jenny said...

A lovely happy post from your trip to China Steve. I have to agree that those children look adorable. (-:

Tabib said...

Great travel pictures, Steve.
The fruit that you describe is call "Fire Dragon Fruit", quite a popular fruit here.

A New England Life said...

You're braver than I am Steve. Usually I won't shoot school aged kids unless they have their backs turned. I'm afraid of being hollered at or that someone might call the police! LOL!

Wonderful images from a far away land. Its interesting to see how many mopeds and motorcycles are in use. These are the everyday photos that show what it's really like in Shanghai.

Related Posts with Thumbnails