Thursday, March 18, 2010

Banned in China

I'm supposing that you are all wondering where I've been. I was invited to give a technical lecture in Shanghai to the Asian sales and marketing team of one of my key suppliers. It was quite an honor to be asked, and how could I refuse?

I set up a few posts in advance with the idea that I would take some pictures and post from Shanghai after I got settled in. But guess what? Blogger is blocked in China.

This was the view from my hotel window on Wednesday morning, my last day in China. Looking over the tops of office and apartment buildings, the Yangpu Bridge is among the world's longest bridges with a total length of 8,354 meters. Its longest span of 602 m makes it the fourth largest cable-stayed bridge in the world. It was completed in September 1993 and opened in October. Its two pylons reach 223 m in height. The highest ship clearance is 48 m. It crosses the Huangpu river.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

17 comments:

J Bar said...

A great view.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Sylvia K said...

Fantastic view, gorgeous capture! My daughter returned recently from three weeks in China. We had become concerned when we didn't hear from her the entire time she was gone because we knew she had taken her computer -- she discovered the same thing you did! Thanks for sharing this shot! It is awesome! Have a great weekend!

Sylvia

Whitemist said...

that is some bridge!

Carol said...

Impressive photo. There is alot in this shot! I like the tight pattern of the structures, and the shapes and sizes all flowing together. Not to mention those massive pylons and the outstretched cables. Nice.

Regina said...

Great skyscraper!
You should come here sometime.

Glennis said...

Fantastic view, the city looks so white and clean, and the bridge is worth much closer inspection!
Maybe that is the reason we seldom see comments or posts from China.

Tabib said...

Great shoot from Canon PowerShot SD960 IS.
Great composition.

Riet said...

What a fabulous view, what a city,wonderful

Jossie said...

What a spectacular view. Is there a spot of green left in the city?

Eve said...

That is some photo Steve! I hope you got plenty more!!!

Eve said...

That is some photo Steve! I hope you got plenty more!!!

Steve Borichevsky said...

Just to quickly respond to a few, Yes, I would love to visit your city, Regina.

There are a few parks in Shanghai. It is quite a large city and I cannot possibly know where the hotspots are for that. There was a park near my hotel, but I didn't have the time to walk over.

Yes Tabib, I was pointing and shooting!

It is a really cool bridge. I crossed it a couple of times. I'm glad to have it on my list.

syel said...

what a magnificent view of the big city!

matthew houskeeper said...

I think there was something in the news recently about Google pulling out of China.

Pat said...

Wow, this is a spectacular shot with the bridge towers looming over the big busy city. Have a wonderful weekend!

Kerri said...

Quite a skyline! We've missed you!

Kim said...

Gorgeous photo Steve!

Related Posts with Thumbnails