Sunday, February 14, 2010

Nobska Lighthouse, Woods Hole, Massachusetts

Since we live on Cape Ann, which is only two hours drive to the other cape (Cod), Becky and I often thought about taking a day trip down just to see. We even thought about spending a weekend down at a B&B, and why not? They have beaches, boats, lobster and lighthouses...Hmmmm, sounds like Gloucester.

Well, yesterday we decided to go down to Falmouth for the day, just to see. It was a pleasant drive down, just two hours. Down in Woods Hole there is a wonderful lighthouse that is very easy to visit. This is Nobska Light.

The light and the ground sit on top of a knowl and the road brings you right in close, so the shooting is a bit tricky. However it is very well maintained and does proved a wonderful opportunity to get some snaps.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

A brief history of the light.
CLICK TO ENLAGRE. ©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Check out the finials on this railing.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Scenic Sunday

16 comments:

A New England Life said...

What a wonderful way to spend a Saturday. It's been years since I've been to woods hole and would surely appreciate it much more now then I did back then.

Wonderful lighthouse!

Jane said...

Great shots Steve, I would love to see these lighthouses one day. Thanks for sharing:)

eileeninmd said...

Great shots of the Lighthouse. I would like to see more of the New England lighthouses.

kate said...

Nobska point, and its lighthouse, is one of my favorite places on this whole planet, thanks for the beautiful photos of it! Brings back lots of childhood memories of happy afternoons clammering about the rocks below :)

LeAnn * ~ See Great Things said...

I love the look of lighthouses. Lucky you! Thanks for sharing these. ~

carol said...

Beautiful Steve. So beautiful. Wished I were there now. Carol

Kelly said...

...very cool. Nothing like a change of pace! I especially love the last image.

Kim said...

Beautiful shots Steve. I absolutely love the last one!

Sylvia K said...

I do love lighthouses and these are such marvelous shots! And thanks for the history as well. What a great place to visit! Enjoy the rest of your weekend, have a good week, Steve!

Sylvia

Kay said...

Lighthouses are so intreging. I love them. Thanks for sharing.

hip chick said...

Very nice shots. It must have been some cold!! I very rarely get to the cape...can't stand the traffic or the tourists.

Roy said...

Great shots as always Steve. Interesting info about the light and these structures are very well maintained

Chris said...

Hi Steve,
You still have snow... It is beautiful on this scenery but I guess you might turn mad at it :-)

The Early Birder said...

As a youngster I used to hear a lot about Woods Hole from my father when he worked for the Institute of Oceanographic Sciences (UK) building underwater scientific research equipment.

matthew houskeeper said...

I have always thought Nobska was a very attractive light.

cindyzlogic said...

Wow! What a gorgeous lighthouse! Wonderful photography, too!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails