Saturday, January 16, 2010

Snow Goose Bat-turn

B and I took a drive up to Newburyport, MA to try a new restaurant. On the way back, just before we reached Essex, we drove by a golf course with some Canada Geese. Driven about 40 miles per hour, (in a 50 mph zone) I was focused on the person in front of me. I mentioned the Canada Geese. Then B said, "Yah, and there was a white farm goose in there, too"

White farm goose????? BAT-TURN!!!!!




I did a Bat-turn and pulled out the camera. (Screw American Express, it's the camera that I never leave home without.) Before we knew it, there were three other cars pulled over. It just goes to show, there are a lot of birders out on the road.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Um, you have some salad in your teeth.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

B isn't a birder, but she knows when there is something out of the ordinary, like yesterday's Cooper's Hawk that I posted. Good bird, B, good bird.

I know that many of my friends a little further west have Snow Geese by the hundreds and thousands, but here on Cape Ann, there are not very common. Last March I got nice shots of a Snow Goose at Lanes Cove that you may want to check out.



Visit Camera Critters

19 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Congrats on your Snow Goose sighting. Awesome photos! Your right, I saw hundreds of them yesterday.

Steve Borichevsky said...

LOL, Eileen, like I said, some of my friends have to sweep them off of the sidewalk!

Carol Mattingly said...

Fantastic photos Steve. Loved the cooper's hawk too. Thanks and keep sharing. Carol

Me and my puppies said...

We have many canada geese but few snow geese, thanks for sharing.

Roy said...

Great capture Steve.
Umm, I don't think the tights would suit you though.{:)

lv2scpbk said...

Wonderful captures.

Wilma said...

Good catch. I like that Bat turn.

Dot said...

Steve...you're really a funny cat! This posting had me rolling! Funny you mention about not leaving home without your camera...I just left a post about that on someone's blog...just like Amex!

I really enjoy your posts...keep 'em coming :o)

WR said...

lol...I agree about not leaving without the camera!

Nice photo of the different birds...glad you did that bat turn safely!

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Wow! I would'a done a Bat-turn, too! The only snow geese I've ever seen were high, high above migrating to points South. What a find you had! A great birding day!

NatureFootstep said...

aha, the geese are at your place? It will take another month before they come back here I think.

I was looking at your willowtrees. I think that it probably is what I have too. It is a beautiful tree.

The Early Birder said...

I hope you didn't leave too much rubber on the road.
Good spot 'B'. FAB

Chris Petrak said...

beautiful photos - wonderful light!

TonyC said...

No No Steve, its a birder's turn, batman just borrowed the idea!! Great shots.

Jane said...

I love the hawk and these geese too, your a wonderful photographer Steve, I hope you and B had a good meal too. Thanks for sharing:)

Mojo said...

That's a sharp eye that girl's got there. Down here Canada Geese are common enough to use for paving, but I don't recall seeing too many of these white kind -- not in the wild anyway.

Arija said...

Steve, you were lucky there was no policeman handy, but well worth risking it anyway. I would have done a regulation wheely.
Great captures ... I'm a total sucker where geese are concerned.

Eve said...

Hahaha! Did you leave your breaking shute in the road???? Great find B!!

KaHolly said...

Here in C. Maine, we don't see snow geese, either. Travel to the coast for the rare siting! Nice photos.

Related Posts with Thumbnails