Saturday, January 9, 2010

Buskirk's Red Bridge

On Christmas weekend, we needed to beat a storm that was coming up from the south, so we headed home from my mother’s house in the Saratoga, NY area back to Massachusetts earlier than planned. We take the Molly Stark Trail across southern Vermont and drop south from Brattleboro and cross Rt 2 to get back into the Boston area.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Along the way, we pass through Buskirk, where there is a covered bridge. Summertime is a great time to shoot this bridge because the river flows slow and there are wonderful opportunities for reflection shots. The reason I took these photos is to capture the ice flowing down the river. There used to be thousands of covered bridges in the North East, but most have been lost to floods, ice jams, fires and neglect.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

This is a wonderful covered bridge rehabilitation project that crosses the Hoosick River between the hamlet of Buskirk in the Rensselaer County town of Hoosick, New York on the south side and the Washington County town of White Creek, New York on the north bank. A great write up can be found on www.hmdb.com.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Scenic Sunday

14 comments:

Jane said...

Great shots Steve, it looks very picturesque even in the cold. Thank you for sharing:)

Richard said...

Great shots Steve. I sure would like to see what the underside of that bridge looks like.

Arija said...

Just had a lovely catch-up on your blog and enjoyed all I saw.

Loved the bridge, the icy water and all your great birs shots.

Eve said...

That's a pretty one Steve! Love the red and it looks like it's well cared for.

Erica Houskeeper said...

Really nice Steve. My family used to drive through Hoosick Falls on Route 22 many years ago when we would travel from New York to Vermont. Haven't been to this area in years. I love the last photo of the bridge and icy Hoosick River. That red color really pops.

Kay said...

I love covered bridges. We don't have too many of them here in California. I have seen maybe 4 of them here and they are all in the northern part of the state.

Frank said...

I love these covered bidge pics . I hope all is well with you and the Mrs and hope to see you soon.

Denise said...

I had lived in the States a long time before I discovered covered bridges. They are very beautiful as is this one. Your photos are always a treat to see.

Quilt Works said...

Lovely! I especially love the one over the frozen river! My visits to your blog never disappoint - you are very talented photographer! I love seeing some of the places I know through your magical lens.


...White picket fence

Gena @ thinking aloud said...

Fascnating bridge - I love how it looks "suspended in thin air" in the last pic! I love the red - really brings the pic to life!!!
I see you've photographed other bridges - need to come back !!!
Gena (south africa)

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I would think that with the green trees in the summertime, that first picture would look a lot different to what it does now.

A New England Life said...

That's a nice one! Usually they aren't painted so its a beauty. Must be wonderful in the summertime, without the ice!

I came across a couple covered bridges myself this past week in Henniker, NH. Managed to photograph one and may get the other one this coming week when I head back up to Pats Peak with my daughter.

Covered bridges really are a dying breed.

Mojo said...

That's one thing you're not going to find down here in the sunny South. For whatever reason, there are no covered bridges that I know of anywhere near here. A shame, that, because they're truly picturesque.

The geometry of this one makes me nervous though. I'd love to know what's supporting the span because it just seems like something should be. But perhaps the "box" works like the cables in a suspension bridge or just gives it enough rigidity to not need additional stanchions.

I never understood the purpose of covering bridges. But I'm sure there's a good reason for it other than simple aesthetics. Doesn't much matter. The aesthetic is reason enough!

matthew houskeeper said...

I did something similar the weekend before Christmas. I was in Northampton, MA, and drove over to Rte 7, then followed it south along the Housatonic River.

Related Posts with Thumbnails