Sunday, January 10, 2010

Bufflehead Hen photo study.

Bufflehead are common in Gloucester in the winter. It is unusual for one to stay within my camera's range. I watched this pretty lady for about 20 minutes. I'm happy these came out fairly well. They are cropped down quite a bit, so I'm really lucky to have photos that are nice enough to publish, especially since this is the first time that I have ever seen one come up with a fish.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Buffleheads are the smallest ducks that we get around here and they are fairly shy around bipeds.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

The photos are a little flat because of the thick overcast conditions. However I was able to get an exposure to shot the brown eye against the brown head.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

If it seem that she has a smile on her face, she does. There was a Herring Gull harassing her for the meal that she worked so hard for. She had to dive down three times before she could enjoy her catch.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

That's right, young lady, Gloucester has the best fish.



Visit Camera Critters

15 comments:

A New England Life said...

Bravo Steve! She's a vision! Wonderful shots!

Frank said...

Nice pics Steve.She is soo cute (YOU GO GIRL!)...LOL

Kerri said...

These are FABULOUS Steve! WOW!!

eileeninmd said...

Awesome photos, Steve! The one with the fish and the smile is just fantastic. Well done!

Tabib said...

Happy ending for bird and photographer.

Richard said...

Another set of great photos Steve. You just keep setting the bar higher for me.

Me and my puppies said...

Great series of shots ~ don't you just love the name Bufflehead!

Rambling Round said...

Wow! Great fishing series.

Craig Glenn said...

Just what we would expect from you Steve! Beautiful photo's with a great story. I hope I see a bufflehead soon.

Craig

Roy said...

Brilliant images under the conditions Steve. From what I read that this is unusual food for the Bufflehead.

Carol Mattingly said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I love to see all of your posts of the shore birds and ducks and geese. Fantastic. Thanks. Carol

Mojo said...

They make me cold just watching them. I guess these ducks don't migrate this far south. This is the only place I've ever seen them. But you do a great job with her, just like all the others.

kate said...

WOW! those are amazing! I love watching these little guys off the Ipswich beaches, although I've never caught one eating a fish, maybe you guys do have better fish on your side of the bay? :)

KaHolly said...

Pretty incredible series of photos! And the best part is, you shared them! Thank you. ~karen

Anna said...

Love these shots! She is gorgeous, and I'm glad she got her fish.

Related Posts with Thumbnails