Sunday, December 27, 2009

A little Vermont Rime

What would traveling to relatives for Christmas be without a little bad weather? We cross Rt 9, the Molly Stark Trail across from Bennington to Brattleboro, VT. There are some very beautiful vistas along the route, especially at Hogback Mountain, which is a stop along the way.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Here is a great vantage point to see mountains in Vermont, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

But not yesterday. There was a cyclone over the Mid West pumping a storm system into the area. The mountain top was fogged in. I've been telling B that the view from there is quite impressive, but every time we've gone over the mountain, it has been dark, rainy, snowy, foggy or just hazy. Maybe some day.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Rime ice is formed when fog freezes out on objects. It builds out into the wind. Here the wind is blowing from the left onto an apple tree.

Scenic Sunday

16 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful photos, Steve. I love the photo of ice on the apple tree. Gorgeous photo!

madcobug said...

Great pictures. I would have loved to go inside that gift shop. Loved the Apple tree. Glad that you two were safe. Helen

Roy said...

It was a good move taking the camera Steve.
Wow, apples from the Freezer. Great photo.

Johnny Nutcase said...

that last shot is awesome. i would not last in the cold, i just wouldn't, which is too bad because snow is fun.

Barb said...

Hi Steve, You were near my old stomping ground - our Family once had a house near Stratton Mountain in VT. That icy tree is so beautiful - Nature's artwork. Happy New Year!

Jane said...

Wow those are some great shots, and love the berries with the rime and snow on them, unfortnately I wasn't able to capture something like that around here. Thanks for sharing Steve and hope you and your family had a great Christmas:)

Mike Simmons said...

Steve - I recently found your blog. I really like your images along with your writing. The apple tree with the rime ice is a really nice shot. Thank you.

Mojo said...

Rime icing has always fascinated me. Most of what I've seen "live" was almost like rock candy stuck to everything, but I've seen photos of formations several feet thick and they're amazing!

Frank said...

I love these pics of Vermont no mater what season. It is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Natural Moments said...

Exquiste beauty can truly be seen in any weather or under any perceived circumstance as your wonderful photographs show. Therefore, if we place our minds to these kinds of observations, the world and how we view it simply transforms into a positive life affirming event.

Carol said...

Vt can be beautiful in the winter..Hogback especially. I graduated from Brattleboro...my sons and grandkids still live there. VT, NH, MA ,NY were my old stomping grounds...now I am in chilly FL.

www.alwayslingerawhile.blogspot.com

Kelly said...

Beautiful! ...and I learned something new. I had no idea what "rime" was.

A New England Life said...

It's to bad things didn't work out with the view. B's probably wondering if there really IS a view! LOL!

Pagan Sphinx said...

Familiar images from my neck of the woods in western massachusetts. That rime ice photo is gorgeous!

Eve said...

Great shots Steve, and I hope someday we get to see the mountain view!

Erica Houskeeper said...

Nice shots. I love that route between Bennington and Brattleboro. I'm sure you'll be able to show off the view at some point. Happy New Year!

Related Posts with Thumbnails