Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Jean Elizabeth

It is now winter, the sun has stopped its march south and the cold is settling in. Most of the lobstermen have pulled their pots from Gloucester Harbor, some are still fishing. The lobsters have migrated to deeper, warmer waters.

The Jean Elizabeth is still pulling lobsters out around Dog Bar. Dog Bar, as it is listed on the charts, is an underwater sandbar that extends off of Eastern Point. Around the turn of the century, the breakwater was built on the sandbar, protecting Gloucester Harbor.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Visit Watery Wednesday

13 comments:

squirrel said...

That looks so cold! I love the photo of the Purple Sandpipers.
Happy Holiday

Chris said...

Hi Steve,
Nice fishing photos! I just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy new year cause I'll be out of the blog world for a while. I'm taking holidays and rest from the blog world. I'll be back sometime in January... Take care mate!
Cheers, Chris.

Kelly said...

...interesting documentary. Looks like cold, hard work.

Mojo said...

I was gonna say... looks like a cold, tough way to make a living. Probably a pretty lean living too. Gotta admire the determination it takes though. I wonder, do these guys fish other species when the lobsters head out for the winter? Or is the gear so specialized that fitting up the boat for multiple types would be prohibitive? Or for that matter, would this boat even be usable for long-lining? Call it a landlubbers ignorance.

Shirley said...

My uncle was a fisherman out of New Bedford. We hardly ever saw him :( They are out for longer periods than they are home.It is a very hard life.
Happy Holidays

J Bar said...

Great catch.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Guy D said...

Excellent selection of shots,now I feel like going to Red Lobster.

All the best
Guy
Regina In Pictures

ewok1993 said...

I like this series of a day in the life of a fisherman post via WW.

Happy Holidays.

Quilt Works said...

Lovely shots! I also love hte birds on the previous post! So sharp - I can look into their eyes!

Carolyn Ford said...

Hardly recreation, I would guess! Nice shots! Merry Christmas

eileeninmd said...

Awesome photos of the lobster fishermen. It does look cold out there. Great photos. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

chubskulit said...

My first time seeing fishermen catching lobsters.

Japan Sea.. Merry Christmas!

Jane said...

Great shot Steve, looks like they have a fresh catch of Lobsters there. Thanks for sharing Steve, and have a very merry christmas:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails