Saturday, November 7, 2009

Test Shots

I've learned in outdoor photography that sometimes it is good to take test shots of subjects when you have the opportunity. That way, you can get new ideas, find out what works, and what doesn't.

Last September I took a drive up to my home town and spent the night at my brother's house in Vermont. The next morning I took photos of a remote covered bridge on the Green River. On the way home I crossed the French King Bridge that spans the Connecticut River along Rt. 2 in Massachusetts. This is pretty cool bridge in The Pagan Sphinx's territory.

The colors had not developed yet and it was my intention to return later and shoot them again. Alas, weekend after weekend of bad weather prevented me from returning to get better shots before the fall colors wained.

Looking East across the 782 foot span.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Two pictures of the Connecticut River looking north as the morning clouds burn off.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

140 feet above the Connecticut River, a spider decide to try to catch dinner. The morning fog gathered in droplets in the prevailing southerly breeze.
©2009

7 comments:

Chris Petrak said...

Very interesting notion of the test shots - a deliberate trying of something. I think I do that in an unintentional sort of way, but doing it intentionally focuses one more on the subject and composition.

Natural Moments said...

The test appears to be an absolute success. Its as if you are learning to tap into the beauty of the moment no matter what the conditions may be as presented to you.

A New England Life said...

Ah yes, the best laid plans just don't always work out like we had hoped. What you captured is beautiful Steve. How I wish the foliage were still that green.

Miss Spider must napping for the day.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I wopuld not mind traveling on that river Steve. It is really beautiful there.

Love the spiderweb.

Erica Houskeeper said...

I drove over that bridge many times on my way to Vermont while I was living in Boston. Those Connecticut River photos are really pretty, and the green is so luscious. Sorry it didn't work out for a fall shoot, but what you captured is lovely.

Roy said...

Wonderful scenes Steve.

matthew houskeeper said...

I love all of those early 20th century bridges. They were such works of art.

Related Posts with Thumbnails