Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving, my last film picture

Happy Thanksgiving. I had visions of bringing the wild turkey shot to you today. But alas, I do not have one for you. We have lots of turkeys around work, during the week days you practically have to sweep them out of the way. However I don't pack a camera at work because, well, the temptation to be out in the woods shooting bugs and birds would be too great and we've become accustomed to having food on the table and a roof over our heads.

So what does this shot have to do with Thanksgiving? Well, it does have a thin connection. When I was a teenager (back when dirt was invented) we were friends with the family that owned the farm right next to Norman Rockwell's Arlington home. You cross this bridge and walk about three minutes and twenty five seconds and you are at his summer studio.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

This was one of the last film images I made...ever. The image below gives this posting a little credibility that it is truly a Thanksgiving day post, and it the closest image that I have of a turkey due to the fact that the turkeys do not hang around campus on the weekend when I can walk around with a camera and without getting fired.

I do not own this image. I swiped it. I'm sure that the website that I swiped it from did the same. Perhaps if I referred you to the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, Massachusetts I may be forgiven. I hope so.



In all sincerity, Becky and I visited the Norman Rockwell Museum several years ago. It is a wonderful institution and I highly recommend it any time of the year. I grew up with these images. As a kid, there seemed to be a familiarity about them. Mainly because Norman used his Arlington friends and neighbors as models, real Vermont woodchucks just like me.

Speaking of turkeys, this year our company distributed turkeys to all employees. I am truly thankful that the economy is on the mend and I hope that we can get all the people that lost jobs back to work.

I am also thankful for my followers who take five to thirty seconds to pop in to see something new.

7 comments:

Arija said...

Steve, thank you for this lovely post with another covered bridge.
The last time we had a chance to savour Thanksgiving dinner in Vermont was in 1969, what a load of happy memories we have from then and stayng at my inlaws cottage near Enosburg Falls.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

madcobug said...

I like the bridge and the graphic. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Helen

Kelly said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Steve! I enjoyed reading about your connection to Norman Rockwell (I've always loved that T-day painting!).

The Early Birder said...

A 'free' Turkey and signs of recovery..can't be bad. Happy Thanksgiving Steve and Becky from FAB & Anita.

Carol Mattingly said...

Happy Thanksgiving Steve and thanks for the kind words. Carol

A New England Life said...

So it took me a minute to catch on to the 'turkeys at work' thing. I thought you worked in the country. Ha haa!!

Great final image to have. B, I assume. She looks lovely. Aren't you glad to be in the digital era now?

I hope you and B had an enjoyable Thanksgiving.

Sharon

hip chick said...

I have always loved Normal Rockwell. I have always wanted to go to Stockbridge on the December weekend they do the Christmas celebration. They do a re-enactment of Main street as he painted it.
Oh well, maybe next year.

Related Posts with Thumbnails