Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Three Point Turn, the Fram departs.

Jay of Cape Ann Images reported that the FRAM arrived in Gloucester Harbor. Last year we welcomed her on October 11th.

On Thursday night, I was walking down Rogers Street when I heard three honkin' blasts of an air horn. It could only be the Fram warning that she was shoving off. I've never seen one of these cruise ships leave the Inner Harbor and was fascinated to watch her skillfully do a three point turn.

This is the stern as the Fram backs away from the Cruise Port.



And she s-l-o-w-l-y backs toward Smiths Cove.


I'm not sure what he is doing up there. I could imagine that he is making sure that when the bow thruster comes on line, it doesn't suck in a dory.


The backing manuver is stopped and the bow thruster swings the bow around.



And away she goes! See you soon!


As the Fram leaves the Inner Harbor, Paul Frontiero catches her steaming by Fort Square.

7 comments:

Kerri said...

And I think our truck is big. I couldn't imagine driving this thing!
Great shots!

Chris said...

Hi Steve,
She is beautiful and big. Surely not easy to maneuver! beautiful sequence you got there and yes I guess it is very impressive to see this kind of boat going out of a harbor!

N1TOX said...

Good pictures! It's always nice to watch the big boats turn around. Here are some Spec's on the cruise ship.

http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/msfram/

At 12,700 Tons and only carring 500 passengers, it is a small cruise ship, but at least it stops in Gloucester!

Eve said...

Whew!!! That was a great turn around! And a big'un!!!

Frank said...

Must have been one hell of a drivers ed class...LOL

Roy said...

Interesting post Steve, I guess it saves on the cost of using tugs.

Jay Albert said...

Glad you caught her,great shots! I was planning on catching her leaving but last minute baby sitting duties came up.

Related Posts with Thumbnails