Friday, October 23, 2009

Forgotten Photo Friday, California Sea Lion Pups

When we go to Monterey, California, I like to shoot the sea lions. Last July we made a trip and saw these sea lion pups. This isn’t the most glamorous time of the year for them because they are losing their puppy fir. It just goes to show that a wildlife photographer must work on nature's schedule.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Sea lions are characterized by the presence of external ear pinnae (ear-flaps), long front flippers, and the ability to walk on all four flippers on land.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

They do seem to enjoy the company of each other.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

11 comments:

Craig Glenn said...

Precious Steve!

Craig Glenn

Chris said...

Stunning Steve.... This is a unique occasion you got there!! How far were you? These shots are beautiful... Have a nice week end!

Jenny said...

They're very sweet Steve, even with the moulting! That last photo is lovely!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

How wonderful Steve. I love the shot of the three litle heads. :)

madcobug said...

Those are beautiful pictures. I would have loved to seen them. Helen

Carol said...

I'd never have seem them losing their fur had you not been there at that time. Thanks.
They are so cute. Would love to see them.

www.alwayslingerawhile.blogspot.com

Kitty said...

They still look like the wonderful animals they are, even when moulting! I have only seen these creatures in the zoo - they look far happier and more peaceful in their own kingdom.

Erica Houskeeper said...

These photos are so sweet! I love how they all snuggle together. What you captured is so beautiful.

Steffe said...

All three are good photos. I think I like the second one best.

Eve said...

These pictures show them better than any I've ever seen Steve!

Judy said...

You are right - they are no longer cute! But I really love the last photo, with the three noses all close together, sharing the breath!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails