Sunday, October 11, 2009

Contoocook Railroad Bridge and Depot, II

The is the second part of yesterday's post. Today Dane Malcolm talks about the history of the railroad in Contoocook, talks about the railroad bridge, the history of the town and the role the bridge played in early air navigation.

This is what the Contoocook Station looked like as you arrived in a Pullman coach.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

The original semaphore still stands proudly above the station.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

This Pullman coach actually served on this station's lines. I was brought into the park two years ago.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

A photo of the side of the railroad bridge.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse



Scenic Sunday

 

Post Script: 18 July 2010
I just found a excellent write up by the National Parks Service about the Contoocook railroad bridge.

11 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful series of photos! The Pullman coach, the covered bridge and the depot are my favorites.
Thanks for sharing your scenic Sunday.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I used to love riding on trains esecially when they were still steam ones. We have a couple here still in service doing special tourist runs.

Steve B said...

Glad you enjoyed it, eileeninmd.

Hi Joan, I don't know what it is about steam that makes it more fun. I've done a little bit of both on tourist runs.

A New England Life said...

Fascinating Steve. Dane really knows his stuff and I'm surprised by how much documentation there is of the bridge and railway. This is the stuff that goes far to unappreciated by much of our generation, and younger.
Wonderful that Richard L came out for the train dedication. Surely he's seen plenty of changes in his day.

Is that graffiti I see on the side of the bridge?

Kay said...

Very cool. I love old railroad stuff.

Kay

Pagan Sphinx said...

Fantastic photo essay. I love the first shot, especially.

Tes said...

I love the red train with those beautifully colored trees as a backdrop! Lovely shots!

Petit Eyekiss said...

Beautiful photos!

ms toast burner said...

Great post! And Part 1 too. Nice to learn some history about old trains and covered bridges, love em!

Great photos too, of course. I'll have the word 'Contoocook' in my head for hours now. ;-)

Kcalpesh said...

This is a cool series of pictures! I'm lovin the way you're shootin your univers! Nice blog!

- Pixellicious Photos

Eve said...

What a great document Steve! The pictures are fabulous.

Related Posts with Thumbnails