Saturday, October 10, 2009

Contoocook Railroad Bridge and Depot, I

Just a few miles west of Concord, NH off of I89 is the town of Contoocook, NH. There you will find a little gem, the Contoocook Riverway park which is has the railroad depot, the oldest covered railroad bridge and a Pullman coach.

If you are a railroad buff and have never stopped by, you should. Dane Malcolm, a retired airline pilot has set up a wonderful museum in the restored depot. He has a wealth of information of the railroad and town history. There are vintage and modern railroad photographs for sale that are pertinent to the area.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse



©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Tomorrow, Dane discusses the history of the railroad in Contoocook.

Scenic Sunday

Post Script: 18 July 2010
I just found a excellent write up by the National Parks Service about the Contoocook railroad bridge.

5 comments:

The Early Birder said...

A great 'find' Steve, I can't wait to hear more of the history. FAB

A New England Life said...

No website? No advertisement? That's odd. In all my years as a NH native I've never been to Contoocook. Heck I can't even SAY it and I've got a pretty good New England accent as you know.

Outstanding post Steve. You should have been a photo journalist.

Steve B said...

Sharon, I know the feeling. We don't always know what's in our back yards.

As far as saying Contoocook, that is right up there with Piscataqua.

A New England Life said...

Piscatiqua comes pretty easy to me, but Contoocook is a little different. Good to hear a native give the correct pronunciation!

So how do you say 'Kancamagus' as in the Kancamogus highway? We just call it 'The Kank'! LOL!

Eve said...

This looks wonderful Steve. It reminds me of a little depot in Adams Center NY that they turned into a restaurant, and the train still passes by.

Related Posts with Thumbnails