Friday, September 4, 2009

The Bluenose II Arrives. Plan A is Always Best

The arrival of the Bluenose II is a big deal for schooner lovers in Gloucester. I had been planning on taking shots from Eastern Point all summer long. Then it hit me. I had made a chiropractic appointment at 12:00, right when she was supposed to arrive!

So plan B (actually I was thinking that this was a stroke of genius). I knew from the ship tracker that she was anchored off of the north end of Cape Ann. Cool! I'll just scamper up to Rockport and take some shots up there. When I arrived at 9:30, this is what I saw. She was way out there! This is a full frame photo at 300mm looking due east from where I was. This was as close as I was going to get.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Plan C, drive down to Atlantic Blvd, which looks east and shoot here when she comes by. I figured I had lots of time, but to gauge where I should be, I drove straight down. By this time, she was rounding Thacher Island.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Feeling like this may work, I watched her for about 10 minutes. Here is the full frame shot at 300mm.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

I figured I had some time so I went back home and puttered around. At 11:00, I though I'd put plan C into action. When I arrived at my target, the Bluenose II wasn't anywhere to be seen. Quick, Plan D...run down towards Eastern Point and see if she is still on the east side of Gloucester!

I drove all along Atlantic with no Bluenose II is sight so she must be south of me. Yikes! Obeying all laws, I went down to Eastern Point Lighthouse and there she was with the Thomas E Lannon. I made it! Plan A was in effect! Whoo-hoo, she's a beauty.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

I would have loved to go out on the breakwater, but if I did, I would be late for my appointment. The only thing I could do was to shoot from the foot of the breakwater.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
Dogbar Breakwater is 1/2 mile long and I figure that she was another half mile out from there. It was in the high sun of the day, but no matter.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

When she came into harbor the sails started to come down and then she motored down to Harbor Loop. It was 11:38 and I had plenty of time to get to my appointment.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

11 comments:

Chris said...

Hi Steve,
Some people are chasing birds, you are chainsg boats with a very funny style... This is a great story and you got very nice pictures of her. Well done mate, have a nice week end full of nice pictures!

madcobug said...

You got some great shots. Helen

The Early Birder said...

Hi Steve. She is beautiful. Just as well you had a few options up your sleeve...so to speak. Hope the chiropractor wasn't too rough on you! Have a good weekend. FAB

Steve B said...

LOL Frank, I don't think she's rough enough! But she does great work.

Thanks Helen and Chris. Actually, chasing birds is good training for chasing schooners.

Lindy MacDuff said...

Wow, what a fun and exciting morning! Glad you were able to get so many great shots of her.

A New England Life said...

That's a lot of planning, a lot of driving, and a bit of stress! In the end you got what you wanted though. All that chaos paid off ; )

How many schooners are coming in this week-end and wehre are they docking?

Roy said...

You finally got some really great images Steve. It pays to have a number of plans.{:)

Steve B said...

You bet Roy, thanks.

Hi Sharon, According to the Chamber of Commerce, there are 18 scheduled. However, one never knows because sometimes they come out of the woodwork. They birth at the Maritime Heritage Center, at the Gloucester Cruise Port, State Fish Pier. There are some other places that they shoe horn in. Some stay moored out in the harbor.

Hi Lindy. That is the great thing about digital, you can overshoot. Very important when you are shooting dark hulled boats with white sails that are backlit.

Richard said...

Chasing boats is easy....they don't hide in the bushes.

Jay Albert said...

Great shots! Glad you got to see the "BluenoseII" arrive. I missed out not knowing when she was coming in and my camera owner malfunction!

PG said...

she's an awesomely beautiful ship. i have fond memories of the house i grew up in with a wonderful watercolor of her on the walls.

Related Posts with Thumbnails