Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Sunset Sail on the Pinky Maine

On Tuesday night, I had an opportunity to take a sunset sail on the Pinky Maine. We had a very relaxing two hour sail on dead calm seas. I didn’t talk about what a Pinky is when I posted the Maine last week, basically it is a schooner with a pinked stern as shown here.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

The design was first used in Europe in the 1600 and became popular in New England for cod fishing. A from of this boat was know as a Chebacco boat, named after Chebacco Parish which later was renamed Essex. Essex is right here on Cape Ann and is the next town over from Gloucester.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse



©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
As we approached Dogbar Breakwater, we came upon the Thomas E. Lannon, owned by the Ellis family.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
I can’t help it, I love taking these pictures just because I can name them, “Man Taking a Picture of a Man Taking a Picture”. I hope I didn’t screw up his shot.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
Captain Tom Ellis is a local personality with a sense of humor. He banters with Captain Burnham, “Have you seen the great white whale?”
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
Not having any information about Moby Dick for Captain Ellis, she sails off.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
There was a bit of haze today giving this picture the look of a 1960s postcard. My regulars will recognize this as Eastern Point Light.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
As the sun was setting…
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
…the moon was rising.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse


Our mascot was watching that we didn’t run aground on a lobster buoy.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
Just on our short sail, I saw Herring Gulls, Great Black-backed gulls, Laughing Gulls, Bonaparte’s Gulls, Wilson’s Storm Petrels, flocks of peeps, Great Egret, Common Terns and DC Cormorants.

The Pinky Boat Maine is available for chaters of various lenghts. To learn more about the Pinky Maine, visit www.burnhamboatbuilding.com/.

Trivia question: What's the connection with the Thomas E. Lannon?

9 comments:

Jay Albert said...

Great shots Steve! There's nothing like hearing the slap of the water and the flutter of the sails and every now and then a cell phone going off!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What a terrific and wonderful Post Steve. I sure would have loved to have been with you and B on this one. I am fascinated by these boats / ships / schooners you are always showing us especially the omes ike you have here. Thanks for sharing.

Frank said...

looks like it was a great day in the harbor Steve. Sometimes we forget how lucky we are to live here

Steve B said...

Not me Frank, I wake up every morning and look out over the harbor and think, "I can't believe I live here."

Yes Joan, I whish you were here too.

LOL, Jay, you know it.

Arija said...

How marvellous to go sailing off is such a ship into the sunset! I love the lookout with a life-vest, He reminds me of Jip with his nose to the wind in Dr.Doolittle's voyages.

Pagan Sphinx said...

These are nothing short of amazing, Steve. But then again, that's always the case with your photographs.

I love the dog and the teddy bear and the perspective of that first picture. The blue sky and red lifesaver are so gorgeous. Everything crisp, clean and colorful.

Rocky Mountain Retreat said...

These are fantastic.... how I would love to go for a sunset sail. I have never been in a sailboat and I think it would be a wonderful experience judging by your beautiful photos!

Roy said...

Answer Steve is The Thomas E. Lannon was built at the Burnham Boat yard.

Fabulous images as usual particularly the Thomas E. Lannon, oh! and the dog.

A New England Life said...

All paws on deck!

Glad to see someone captured the moon this past week! That guy better hope he doesn't lose his camera in the drink seeing as how he's not a fan of wearing the strap.

Hope you had a memorable evening!

Related Posts with Thumbnails