Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Eastern Amberwing dragonfly, my pad or yours?

I was pretty excited to see male Eastern Amberwing dragonflies patrolling the section of the Ipswich River where I stopped to enjoy the scenery. One male was guarding his territory and preferred this lily pad to hang out on, driving off other males that challenged him. Soon a female arrived and the chase was on.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

I tried catching the female ovipositing, but even at 1/300th of a second, I still couldn’t freeze her.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Visit Watery Wednesday

12 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

A great series of shots Steve.

Kitty said...

The shapes in the second shots are brilliant! And I still like the third - just shows the speed that these insects live out their lives!

Arija said...

Steve, your photos are just amazing! I love coming here for a treat.

Chris said...

Wow Steve,
This is a cool moment to witness!!! I realize in France, that these nice insects were not that easy to take pictures of!!! I had to keep the 300mm lens to be able to get a descent picture...
But your sequence is just magic... Well done mate!

forestal said...

amazing photos Steve

dan

Eve said...

Wonderful photos Steve, aren't they a treat!!

Marju said...

Wonderful pictures, I think so!

Jenny said...

Yes, fabulous photos Steve. I love the stained glass effect of the wings on the lily pad.

Barb said...

You even managed to capture the shadow of the Dragonfly's wings - amazing! I enjoyed this series - thanks for sharing your camera's shooting speed.

dAwN said...

Hee hee..isnt this blog supposed to be G rated!
great shots...
I am playing catch up on your blog..have been with out internet for a few days now while traveling..
but in Montana now and i have wifi,

awesome photos as usual.
I wont comment on them all..but I will say I love the variety you have this past week.

Texas Travelers said...

Great dragon fly shots.

Just had a dragon fly mystery quiz over at our nature blog ICU Nature. If you have time check it out.

Come visit,
Troy

Christopher said...

Wow - really spectacular set of shots!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails