Friday, August 28, 2009

Black-shouldered Spinyleg

I shot this Black-shouldered Spinyleg dragonfly in Ipswich last Saturday. I found it when I was walking back to my car after doing a shoot. It was located very near the ground, just as the guide book said it would be.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Then all of the sudden, this big spider crawled up on a leaf to check me out. I cropped this photo so the spider is apromimately life size.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

7 comments:

Marvin said...

Great dragonfly shots! A nice shot of the Yellow Garden Spider (Argiope aurantia) too. You'll usually find her sitting in the middle of a large orb-shaped web.

Marvin said...

Oops. I posted here before reading your comment on my blog. I'm pretty sure the spiders are the same. There's quite a bit of color/pattern variation in this species.

BugGuide

madcobug said...

Great shot, We have those spiders around here. I used to run into the webs headfirst sometimes. They used to spread their webs all across one row to the other one in our veggie gardens. Gave me the shivers to run into one of them. Helen

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh WOW!! DOn't know which one I like more the spider or the dragon. Great shots Steve.

Whitemist said...

Your abilities to catch these creatures amazes me! great shots!

Roy said...

Great macros. Really interesting markings on this one Steve. We don't have one like this.

Eve said...

That spinyleg is new to me Steve and the pictures wonderful but I love your Garden Spider!! I'm not sure if we have them down here (they probably get run off by all the BIGGER meaner spiders) but my field was always full of them this time of year up north. The are harmless, but wow are they big!

Related Posts with Thumbnails