Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Thanks Joan and Richard

I’ve been working on Shooting My Universe for a year now. We have come a long way together. You may ask, “Together?” Yes, without my visitors, followers and fellow bloggers, this would just be an exercise in futility.

This seems like a good time to give some long overdo thanks to Richard who posts At The Water and Joan who posts Photographs from South Africa. Both have passed on blogger awards to Shooting My Universe.

When B introduced me to blogging with Smells Like Grape, our wine blog, I learned the importance of community and building a readership. With that experience, I wanted to find other photographic blogs with mindsets similar to mine to form my own community. At first, I had problems finding other blogs in my genre. There were lots of fine art blogs, kittens falling out of basket blogs and personal family blogs. These are fine and important to their authors, however not in my genre.

I found Photographs from South Africa and emailed Joan requesting a link exchange. She accepted and this opened the door to a great community. Joan is a wonderful blogger and I learn something new about her universe every time I go there. She hardly misses a day and always responds to comments. I can’t say enough about Joan.

Richard is another great blogger. He loves his birds and has a sense of humor. He posts nearly daily except when the spring floods invaded his basement. I got an “out of the blue” email from Richard saying that he gave me a mention. The email said that I may want to check out his post for that day. When I arrived on his blog what I saw was that he told his community to go check out my blog. I’ve always been grateful and will never forget his generosity. Richard has a back yard full of Redpolls, Chickadees, Blue Jays and American Goldfinch that he feeds and photographs. Richard’s favorite weather is Bird Chirping Weather.

So thank you both for the recognition. You guys are too cool. Thank you for the awards and helping me get a good jump start early on.

Part of the award game means disclosing some personal information that may not be readily available, and although it may be inane, here are some pieces of trivia about Steve B.

My first camera was given to me by my parents when I was Seven. We were going to move from my first home, so I wanted to take some pictures from my bedroom window of the view. Dad didn’t get my artistic concept and was a little perturbed that he spent money developing my film. Sorry you didn’t get it dad, but I’ve come a long way since then.

My first real camera was a Minolta XE-7 that I bought when I was 16.

My first real camera.  Yup, I've still got it.  I don't know why, I'll never use it again.

My first big gig was being the photographic editor for my high school year book.

I have done bird counts in L.A. County in California and in Boulder County, Colorado. I’ve done breading bird surveys in Boulder County and in Yuma and Eckley, Colorado.

Number of birds on my life list? I don't know, I stopped counting years ago.

Steve B looking like a tourist.Why Photography? I can’t sing, can’t paint, I suck at music, and if you don’t write too good, you shouldn’t write too much. But any nitwit can push a button.

What do I think of Gloucester? In over 20 years, this is the first community that I lived in that I actually know and talk to my neighbors. We have been accepted by the folks here. The fishermen let me walk around the docks, (yeah, I look like a tourist when I walk around), and there are guys like Joey at Good Morning Gloucester that have helped me build a following here.

People ask me if I considered going pro. Yes I have. Nah, I’ll keep my day job, the work is easier and the pay is of a lot better.

16 comments:

A New England Life said...

I think it's wonderful to be a tourist in your own community! That's how you end up seeing things just a little differently. Glad you have found a place to call home, Steve. There's no place like New England. Ayuh!

After all these years I still have my Minolta Maxxum 3xi camera from when I was around 20. It was a match made in heaven, until the day I dropped it in the river on a camping trip. I tried to have it fixed but nothing helped. Somehow I can't part with it though.

Your blogging fan,
Sharon

Abe Lincoln said...

There is no place like home. Home is where you are. Japan was my home for over three years and I loved it more than the cornfields and cows I had remembered as home. When I got back to that home I had only memories of Japan and photographs.

I look back on those photographs taken with Canon cameras and fuji and kodak color film and the rest in black and white and wish I had been able to have more experience and was able to use digital. What a difference. But then it wouldn't be the same home.

I really enjoyed your post, Steve.
I had forgotten, one of my first cameras in Japan was a Minolta that looked like a Roliflex. And then I got a Canon 35mm.

Craig Glenn said...

Hi Steve,

I have to agree with you about Joan. SAPhotographs is the first blog I visit everyday and she is the standard for the kind of blogging community we all yearn to be a part of. But Richard gets all the credit for my humble follow of your incredible blog. I remember his post about you and I went right over and was so impressed I followed-up right away. I am easily impressed by most blogs that feature life outside of my sheltered upbringing. I have not ventured out of the south eastern part of our country more than a handful of times in my life. I was so captivated by your blog and (hang on, I have to go look up how to spell the place where you live) Gloucester.

I made Maureen say Gloucester over and over until I could say it without sounding like too much of a redneck. She still laughs at me when I try to say it. Oh well. Then she told me about the ‘man at the wheel” and I ask what that was and promptly asked you if you had any shots, you said you did, so I searched them out on your blog and learned about him too.

Sorry for being long winded but I think our comments far too often fail to convey just how much blogging and our blogging community really means to us. Congratulations on your first year Steve and thanks for being a virtual tour guide and sharing your beautiful photos that I can only hope to every come close to some day as I learn photography.

Craig

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

WOW Steve and Craig, I am knocked off my feet at the kind remarks from both of you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!! Hugs!!

Steve, I remember the day I got your e-mail and wondered what kind of a crazy fellow this was contacting me. :) I dashed over to your site expecting to find ..... well I am not sure what, but was pleasantly surprise to find someone who liked nature too.

It has been a pleasure visiting your site and seeing the world through your eyes. You have captured so many splendid scenes of the life around you and your comments are always full of kindness.

Congratulations on your first year and may we have MANY more together.

Hugs.
Joan

matthew houskeeper said...

A tourist in your own hometown?
There is certainly nothing wrong with that. I am always amazed when I meet residents who know so little about where they live.

Congratulations on your first year.
I am so happy I found your site and have really enjoyed visiting it.

Doug Taron said...

Happy blogaversary. I've been enjoying your blog a lot- it lets me feel a sense of connection with the place I grew up.

>My first camera was given to me by my parents when I was Seven.

I like that. I had a similar experience. I got my first butterfly net from the Easter Bunny when I was 6.

Roy said...

I for one am glad you are blogging Steve, I learn a lot from your photography and its good to know what is just over on the other edge of the pond. Keep it up and just a half a glass of red for me please.{:)

Cindy said...

Steve,

I can't thank you enough for your blogging, photographs and lessons on photography. It is one of the highlights of my day to go to see what's up with Steve on Shooting my Universe. You inspire me to work harder at my own photography.
Over the last couple of weeks as I've had a cancer scare, your photographs and wit have made me laugh each day. Surgery has taken care of the cancer and it hasn't spread so now I need to get out there agian and start taking my own photos again.
I still love that picture of the Night heron. Thanks Steve for sharing with us all your beautiful photography!

Eve said...

A great tribute to your friends and they picked a winner for sure! I can't remember just how I latched on to your blog Steve but so glad I did. You are a true inspiration! Congrats!

Chris said...

Hi Steve,
Congrats on your award and happy bloganniversary!!! One year already and tons of really good posts and messages. I guess you deserved this award mate! I've been enjoying the road in your company every days since I joined your blog!
Turning professional probably ask for more effort and being amateur is probably best... Although selling one or two pictures time-to-time is probably good too!!!
I wish you the best for the year to come and the many others!!

Steve B said...

I am deeply touched by all your comments. All boats rise with the tide here in Gloucester and for those that I’ve helped, I’m delighted. Thank you all for taking a little extra time to give me some insights into your lives and opinions. As an unserious amateur artist, just knowing that I can share my work and it will be seen would have been enough. Having others continuously returning day after day is all the remuneration that I need.

Richard said...

Steve...Thank you for the kind comments. You deserve the award for your beautiful pictures. You have set the standards high, so it always gives me something to shoot at.

Jenny said...

Happy 1st year Steve. Your photographs are a real inspiration to me, something to aspire to. And as I know you know, it's not just a question of pushing that button! (-: I first found you via Evie, so thanks to you both!

The Early Birder said...

Congrats on the award & happy anniversary Steve. As one of my earliest followers you continue to inspire me with every post (even if I don't comment so often).
Bottoms up my friend. Cheers FAB

VALKYRIEN said...

Happy anniversary Steve! And what a lovely tribute you have made to people that have meant a lot to you in this blogger world!

All the best from one who knows very little about birds (in your country) but enjoy your blog anyway! You see, I enjoy seeing beautiful shots of them! That is why I am following you!

Dave Lewis said...

I love your answer to "Why Photography?"! I've tried the other things and discovered I'm okay at pushing buttons...on cameras too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails