Monday, July 20, 2009

Gloucester welcomes the Kalmar Nyckel

While I was driving home today, I spied a set of flags flying over at the State Fish Pier. Under them I could see the yardarms of a square rigger. I went home and grabbed my gear and headed out. When I arrived, I bumped into an old acquaintance, the Kalmar Nyckel out of Wilmington, Delaware. Visit my earlier Kalmar Nyckel post for links to her website and to learn more.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse


©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

I understand that the Kalmar Nyckel will be in Gloucester Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday before she sails for her next port.

Visit Watery Wednesday

22 comments:

Wilma said...

What a treat! That is one great looking boat. Thanks for posting.

Denise said...

A wonderful old sailing ship and just love these photos. Thanks for the link, I will pop over there now.

dAwN said...

Awesome pics..You make rope look so beautiful!

Kelly said...

Very cool! It must be pretty fun to walk up and see something like that!!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

This is MAGNIFICENT!! WOW!! What a ship!! How lucky you are to see these beautiful creations Steve. Thanks for sharing.

Roy said...

Wow, Steve that boat likes in really good condition. Lovely images.

Chris Petrak said...

I especially like the detail photos, but of course the context of those details is also interesting. Going from the macro to the micro gets us looking, observing. We need both, but the micro is the much more evocative.

Richard said...

Magnificent pictures of a magnificent ship.

ewok1993 said...

Lovely photos. That's one beautiful boat.

Janie said...

What a beautiful old ship. It looks quite well cared for. Lovely photos.

Kitty said...

Marvellous shots! I'd LOVE to sail on a "proper" ship like that some day - although I'd probably be a liability amongst all those ropes :)

Tranquility said...

What a gorgeous ship - and the photos are beautiful!

The Early Birder said...

An absolute treat Steve. Wouldn't it be great to see it in full sail on the 'high seas'?
Cheers Frank.

J Bar said...

Awesome ship. Great shots.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

bettyl said...

What a delightful subject! A great treat to see!

Tricia said...

Absolutely gorgeous - So Grand!

mick said...

Great photos of a wonderful ship!

John Theberge said...

What an amazing ship, it must be something to actually sail on it.

Arija said...

Superb post. Wonderful ship and rigging, loved all the photos.

Tammie Lee said...

incredible ship and beautiful photos!

Regina said...

Stunning!

Eve said...

Wow wish I could have see this one in person. Great photos!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails