Saturday, June 13, 2009

California Quail Hen

This is a California Quail that I shot in Huntington Beach, California along one of the State Beaches. Sometimes Richard accuses me of taking advantage of the birds that follow me around. Well, in this case, they female was sort of coming my way and the male was in hot pursuit. I was caught with my camera in my bag and was only able to shoot the hen.

Take a look at the male’s face and compare the difference to the Gambel’s Quail.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

11 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Yes, it is summer and love is in the air. They are really lovely looking birds Steve. Excellent images.

shantana said...

Great shots!!

Chris said...

Greats shots Steve, I love this bird, it is very funny with its hair style!! Looks like you got some light too there!!

lv2scpbk said...

Beautiful capture.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Great shots and the detail is awesome! I'm still looking to see my first quail. Maybe this morning. On my way to Bolsa Chica. :-)

Cats of Wildcat Woods said...

Wonderful close - ups of the quail - such a pretty bird!

ChrisC and JonJ said...

I have never,ever seen a quail,before.Have heard them,just never seen them.Neat looking bird.
As usual,great photos!

Craig Glenn said...

Hi Steve! Great shots of the Quail. I too got caught with my camera in my bag this week. I wrote a story about it and posted to my nature blog. I am sure you can relate.

Craig Glenn

Roy said...

Great shots of the Quail Steve, they are much larger than our Quail, which I have never seen in the wild.

Neil Tasker said...

Beautiful shots as ever.

Chris Petrak said...

Good comparison of the two species - did you see them in the same area, i.e., did you observe range overlap?

Related Posts with Thumbnails