Thursday, May 14, 2009

Skywatch Friday, Waders in the Sky

You would think that it’s all blue skies here on Cape Ann, but that is not the case. In fact, it’s blowing a gale and drizzly tonight. But last night it was blue skies. I went out to Essex to take the Bobolink pictures and managed to shoot these four frames. They are not real ooooo-aaaaah cock-of-the-rock shots, but I’m digging the forms.

The first two are Glossy Ibis.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Here we have a Great Egret. The sun was setting low and shining yellow on the white bird. He has a real interesting shape because he was riding a strong tail wind. It was almost comical watching it try to keep its composure. In fact I couldn’t figure out what it was until it was just about over me and to a normal flight shape for a couple of seconds.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Finally, we have a Snowy Egret, with a lovely, elegant form.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse


15 comments:

VALKYRIEN said...

The blue sky is beautiful - but the birds even more! The third shot of the egret is my favourite; The sun shining through the wings - and the little blur strengthen the feeling of the birds speed!

2sweetnsaxy said...

Well, I think they're oooh, aaaahhh shots. :-) I've only seen an Ibis at the zoo so this one is really cool for me.

Teri C said...

GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS!!!!

Tabib said...

Beautiful in flight shoots, perfect for SkyWatch meme.

madcobug said...

Great shots! Helen

Guy D said...

Great shots Steve, those are some menacing looking birds.

Have a great weekend.
Guy
Regina In Pictures

hip chick said...

Oh my...beautiful photographs.

Arija said...

The first two are like he's zooming in for the kill, the other two are such beautiful flight shots. Don't get me wrong, I really like the first two too.

judi said...

An Ibis in flight, a new one for me!! Awesome. judi

Lori Skoog said...

Great shots, as are all that you have posted on your blog. You must have a very good camera.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Nice to see you posting some of the same as we have here. :)

fourwindsphotojournal said...

I love your wader shots. Don't the birds look aerodynamic against the sky?

Denise said...

Fantastic!

Pagan Sphinx said...

Always spectacular, your photos!

I adored the woodpeckers. The Nutall's woodpecker is so beautiful. We have one that visits our feeder here in western massachusetts. I didn't know its name.

Thanks for a great series.

Karen said...

Great shots of a beautiful bird and sky !!

I rather like that third photo ... the light on the wings and the impression of fast flight from the way the bird is stretched out...

Related Posts with Thumbnails