Sunday, May 24, 2009

Pink Lady's Slipper

The Pink Lady's Slipper (Cypripedium acaule) is the official state wildflower of New Hampshire and the official provincial wildflower of the Province of Prince Edward Island, Canada.

The plant is 6" to 12" tall and grows in the shady, moist, wooded areas. These were shot in Dogtown along the old Rockport road in Gloucester.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse


©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Visit Today's Flowers


For those coming in on a direct link, be sure to see my Anna's Hummingbird post from earlier today.

15 comments:

Chris said...

Hi Steve,
a very strange name for a very ncie flower. Beautiful pictures.

Sharon said...

Lovely flower...and I love your shot featured on Scenic Sunday too:)

ChrisC said...

Beautiful photos,as usual.Thanks for sharing them.

Jenny said...

What a fantastic flower! We have a lady's slipper orchid which is extremely rare. I don't suppose I'll ever get to see it as its location is kept secret! I think it looks similar to your Pink lady's slipper.

kden said...

I have never seen one of those before. You've taken a beautiful shot with lots of detail.

Leora said...

I remember learning one isn't supposed to pick these, just look and enjoy! Thanks for sharing the splendid photos.

Kelly said...

...once again...a fantastic photo. I just don't see these around here in the wild.

A New England Life said...

A true gem and always a delight to see. Definitely a one of a kind flower. Wonder if I'll get to see one this year?

Denise said...

What a great find. Beautiful wildflower, one of nature's treasures.

Regina said...

Great post really. Love your shots.

madcobug said...

I have never seen but one live one many years ago and I thought it was beaufudul. I haven't had a chance to visit for a dew days. All your pictures are georgous. Helen

Eve said...

Wonderful...I'll have to see if they grow down here. Thanks Steve.

Mary said...

So beautiful, Steve!!!

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful shots of the Pink lady slipper. Do you see many of them there?

Steve Borichevsky said...

They are not very common. I only found one patch of about a half dozen.

Related Posts with Thumbnails