Friday, May 22, 2009

Forgotten Photo Friday, Three Wrens

These were all taken in the desert of Palm Springs last March. The Bewick's Wren (photos 1 and 2) and the Cactus Wren (photo 3) are old friends from California. I did post a Bewick's Wren photo earlier.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

This Cactus Wren is checking out a Verdin's nest. If you didn't see the Verdin's earlier this year, you are in for a treat.


This Rock Wren, also taken in Palm Springs, is an old friend from Colorado too. He just popped up on a rock and I got one shot off.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

12 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I really like the Cactus Wren Steve.

Kelly said...

...lovely photos. The Cactus Wren looks like a fairly large wren! I've never seen any of these sweet birds.

Chris said...

These are very nice pictures Steve. The two first species look pretty big. Is that real? We only have the common wren here and it is rather small and difficult to shoot!

ButterYum said...

I love photo number 2. So cute!

Steve B said...

Hi Joan, Me too, you would never forget it's call. It sounds like an old car trying to start. drrr-drrr-drrrr--drrrr.

Hi Kelly and Chris, it is a brute for a wren. About the size of an American Robin.

Hi ButterYum, As a wren should be!

Chris Petrak said...

I'm impressed with the Bewicks's - in AZ in Jan, I saw many, but none were the slightest bit cooperative. Cactus, however, would have stolen my lunch had I allowed it.

Ginnymo said...

Awww! They are so cute and what great photos!!!

Mary said...

Love that second photo -- that bird has an attitude!

Steve B said...

LOL Chris, When it comes to wrens, you got to be quick! Next time I'm in the desert, I'll keep an eye out for those Catus Wrens.

Hi Ginnymo! Thanks.

I know Mary, that little guy was somthing.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Some birds have very distinctive calls, We have one here that sounds just like those old telphones ringing. :)

I left some "secrets" for you on the grasshopper post. :)

koand said...

śliczne zdjęcia.

A New England Life said...

Very nice Steve. I like that you show the Wrens in their natural habitat, doing what they do best. Mine are usually just sitting on a wire somewhere. ha haa!

That cactus wren is pretty cool looking. What a nest!

Sharon

Related Posts with Thumbnails