Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Photo Study, Verdin in Palm Springs

My post on the 20th of April was not just to complain how frustrating it can be shooting birds. They all have their concept on how to survive. Some are very twitchy like wrens. Some are skittish like Titmice (Titmouses?), some are in your face like hummingbirds. Verdins are very active and do not stay in one place for very long. Given time and the desire to get the shot, it can be done.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

B and I found a nesting, in of all places, the parking lot of a museum. We returned there three times over three days to get these shots. The sun had to be at the right angle in the sky to get the colors that I was looking for and to minimize the chances of having shadows across the birds’ faces. Too late in the afternoon and the sun would slip behind the mountains.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Looking at this bird bringing a stick in and wrestling it through the palo verde branches I think it would be the same as me dragging a 2X4 into my house with my teeth. But it was fun. The bird would come in with a stick and fuss with it for a few minutes.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

After working on the nest, the Verdin would come out and sit outside for a few seconds and sing a brief call and then take off for 10 to 15 minutes before he’d come back again. That is why it took hours to get the shots.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse



The Verdin was brining in some plant material that looked like it may be flowers to line the inside of the oven nest.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse



I have many "Verdins" in my life. This one has a happy ending. I'm still looking for the opportunities to clean up the other "Verdin shots" in my life.

17 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Great to be able to capture this Steve!! Now all you need to do is watch for the eggs and the babies which we want to see to. :)

Cheryl Ann said...

Aren't they cute? We have several palo verde in our yard. Now I know what birds make their nests in them! Beautiful shots!

Chris said...

Hi Steve,
Waaht a nice set of pictures! Congrats, the first one is amazing, sharp, with a good light and very good details. yeh now you just have to follow them during the breeding time and show us more pictures :-)

Roy said...

Such unusual variety of colours on that bird Steve. Great shots all the same.

Eve said...

Way to go Steve, beautiful shots! Great post!

John Theberge said...

Yep, photographing birds can be challenging. After doing a lot this past winter, I discovered the most important thing to have is patience.

Steve B said...

Hi Joan and Chris, I'd love to watch this family, but it is 3000 miles from home on the other side of the country!

Hi Cheryl Ann, I've been wondering what you though about my work taken in your back yard. There is so much going on in the desert.

That was the challenge with this bird, Roy, trying to get the red shoulder patch and the beautiful yellow face.

Thanks Eve.

Yup John, birds have a mind of their own. Sometimes they accept you and sometimes they don't. I shoot ambulatory without blinds, camouflage or feeders. My lenses are borderline too short for passerines and I don’t plan my trips. (How the hell do I get anything done!)

Dale Forbes said...

there they are!

as for the other vendins in your life... are you taking requests to photograph some of your devoted fans' vendins? if so, let me know and I have a few for you

Dale

Tabib said...

Beautiful series!
Good that this series end happily although it took hours to get all the shots and so far away to find what the end result.

Taster B said...

OMG We DID it!!

madcobug said...

That is a beautiful bird and it builds a beautiful nest amongst all those thorns. Thanks for sharing. Helen

Jenny said...

I'm sooo glad you have a happy Verdin ending Steve. I love that last shot, he seems to have a faraway look in his eye.

The Early Birder said...

Well they say patience pays off & these shots prove that you have it in bucket loads. Awesome Steve & thanks for showing me another new bird. FAB

Ginnymo said...

What great shots of this cute little bird!!!

fiziskandarz said...

i think this is my 1st time visiting here.. whoaaa!! u had a great collection of photos here :D and for this entry, the 1st image climb my chart ;)

Cindy said...

Steve, what a beautiful bird, and beautiful shots of the bird worth waiting for...

VALKYRIEN said...

What a cutie! First shot is simply adorable!

Related Posts with Thumbnails