Sunday, March 29, 2009

Study in Brown and Gray, Say's Phoebe

It’s Sunday. B and I took the red-eye back from Long Beach California after visiting Palm Springs for a week. The trip started out with me being on the downside of a head cold with the requisite sinus headache. We arrived in Long Beach Airport on the 20th of March and drove over to Palm Springs on Saturday the 21st.

We checked into our accommodations and I just had to get out for a walk in the desert. This was the first bird that I encountered on the walk. It is an old friend that I would see in California and Colorado. It does make it to the East, but is more of a rarity out here.


©2009 ShootingMyUniverse



©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

It was a wonderful trip. As I mentioned last Friday, there was a storm pushing up against the west side of the mountains causing a wind strom that snapped telephone poles. That morning, there was a small earthquake centered 40 miles south of us. It shook the condo gently, but enough to rouse me. I've been through lots of these little quakes. Californians take them as part of life.

Today, I’m a bit of a wreck. The flights back to Massachusetts leave California in the evening and we fly all night. We touched down at 5:30 AM. I might have gotten an hour’s worth of sleep. Tomorrow I will return to work.

10 comments:

Jenny said...

That second photo is a stunner. Lovely eye glint. These a subtle but beautiful birds. Sorry that you have to go back to work so soon after your trip! )-:

madcobug said...

Beautiful shots of the bird. Glad that you made it back home safely and can get some sleep tonight. Helen

The Early Birder said...

I've just been reading an article which mentioned "eye glint" and framing a shot. Your photos are a superb example for us all to strve to achieve. Have a good week. FAB

Eve said...

Well it was worth it to get the great photos Steve.

Michele said...

Golly, these are fantastic!!
Crisp and clear, I am in awe of your skills!
Hope you are getting some rest.

Kelly said...

...that second photo is to die for!! Sounds like tomorrow is going to be fun for you! Good luck with the jet lag.

A New England Life said...

I know I've never seen that bird around here before. What a sweet little Pheobe : )

My daughter will be flying home from SanDiego on the red eye in July. She'll get home around 8:30 am after 2 layovers. She'll be a wreck too. She sure was when she took the red eye to Colorado and back a couple years ago. I hope I never have to do that flight!

You'll recoup in a few days ; )

Tabib said...

Beautiful Phoebe, great photography as always.
This say's phoebe look like our
Olive-winged bulbul.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

A hectic schedule for sure. This looks like one we havve here, a Dusky Flycatcher. I sometimes think they must be the same family as those you post, but we just call them by different names.

Ginnymo said...

Beautiful shots!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails