Monday, March 2, 2009

Snow Goose at Lanes Cove

I was out and about Saturday afternoon and drove by Lanes Cove, a community here in Gloucester. I saw a white goose and thought it was a domestic goose, but it looked a little odd. It had a black tail and a strange, flesh colored bill. Clearly this was no farm goose and a time to shoot first and ask questions later.

It was hanging about with a puddling of Mallards. I got a shot off from the car to make sure I had the field marks captured and then decided to see if I could get some better images. As I got out of the car, the goose seemed to become a little agitated. Then the Mallards started to come over, I would imagine seeing if I was the benefactor of their next meal. The goose, being a tourist, settled down when it saw that the locals were okay with me.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

This is a Snow Goose which is a migratory species here on Cape Ann. This is only my second Snow Goose and the first that I have been able to get up close and personal with. I was within 50 feet and it seemed to be okay, there was no need to pressure the goose. I got my shots and then let it be.

18 comments:

Quantum Tiger said...

Nice shots!

Kallen305 said...

Great shots. I love how blue the water looked and the fact that you can really see the texture of its feathers in the last picture.

Eve said...

Great find and beautiful shots Steve. I wish you could see the flocks in the thousands of snow geese that fly over my house in the fall. Their honk is higher pitched than the Canada so you really notice it when they come. Some days it seems that the stream never ends.

madcobug said...

Those were beautiful shots. Helen

VALKYRIEN said...

What beautiful shots! Wonderful sight with that white bird on such a blue water!

Jenny said...

Excellent shots of this whiter than white bird Steve. The light is just beautiful. I envy you your light over there! (-:

The Early Birder said...

Just proves that it always pays to take a 2nd look Steve, you could have missed it!
I have seen them on a couple of occassions in UK but certainly not this close. Well done.

Kelly said...

...very beautiful. Love the intense blue with the gold and white.

Steve B said...

I'm back to work so I'm a little backlogged on my comments. Thanks all for coming over.

Hi Quantum Tiger, Hi Kim, Helen, Valkyrien,
I was ~real lucky~ that I had practiced on the Common Eiders and Mute Swans and I had good lighting.

Hi Eve, I though you may have lots of them by the lakes. This one was flying solo.

Jenny, Frank, you wouldn't envy our light today! 10" of snow! Best to stay on that side of the pond for a few more weeks!

Hi Kelly, I'm so happy that the straw turned out as well as it did.

Craig Glenn said...

Really nice Steve. A snow goose, who would have thunk it. I have never seen one but they are really cool.

Craig

A New England Life said...

I've never seen a Snow Goose before but you certainly captured it well Steve. The white feathers stand out beautifully. And I love those few black tail feathers too!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Great shots of it Steve. It is a great feeling to capture something like this.

Roy said...

Brilliant shots Steve. Such clarity. I have only ever seen one Snow Goose, it was on the Bird reserve RSPB Titchwell at the North Norfolk coast.

Chris said...

Congrat, it is a very nice species to see. And you indeed have very nice shots of it!!

Steve B said...

Yah Craig, it wasn't what I expected when I my feet hit the floor that morning.

Hi Sheron and Joan, Thanks! I'm really pleased with the way they turned out.

Hi Roy, Eve gets thousands, this is my second. I even had to dig out my old life list to confirm it was my second. Go figure!

Hi Chris, thanks, it's good to hear from an expert bird photographer such as yourself.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Wow, these are great. I love that you can see the drops of water on it.

Steve B said...

Hi 2sweetnsaxy, I never though that I would ever get this close to a wild Snow Goose. Some Canada Geese you have to sweep with a broom to get across the field. These are pretty much full frame shots. Who would have thunk?

digifaith said...

I saw one of these hanging out with a flock of Canada geese on the lake this morning, and I was wondering what he was. Thanks for the info, and those are gorgeous pictures.

Related Posts with Thumbnails