Friday, March 20, 2009

Forgotten Photo Friday, Water Crows

I put together some shots of the four species of cormorants on my life list. In the winter, the DC Cormorants head out and are replaced by the Great Cormorant. On the west coast, there are Brant’s and Pelagic Cormorants as well as DC Cormorants.

Pelagic Comorant, Monterey, CA 27 Dec 08©2009 ShootingMyUniverse


Great Comorant, Gloucester, MA 16 Feb 09
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse



Double Crested Comorant, Gloucester, MA 22 Oct 08©2009 ShootingMyUniverse



Double Crested Comorant, Ipswich, MA 22 July 08©2009 ShootingMyUniverse




Brandt's Comorant, Monterey, CA 27 Dec 08©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

10 comments:

A New England Life said...

I didn't even know we had different types of Cormorants in the area until I shot some Great Cormorants about a month ago (which I have yet to post).

I always think they are pretty cool when they sit on the rocks with their wings open, soaking up the warm rays of the sun.

John Theberge said...

I love the emerald green eyes of the commorants. When I was in the everglades I tried to get a close up but wasn't successful.

madcobug said...

Those are great shots of the different kinds of commorants. Helen

Chris said...

Well a good presentation of your different species with a lot of light and nice posture! Very cool!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Thes are lovely pic Steve. We have a couple of different species here too and I love to watch them fishing.

Kelly said...

...love those wing shots! Cormorants are so much fun to watch. Great view of the eyes too...

Kallen305 said...

Such cool birds. The 3rd and 4th photos are superb!

Eve said...

Thanks for the photos Steve. We get the DC here.

Steve B said...

Thanks for all the comments. I should point out the birds shot on the West Coast are strictly West coast birds and the Great Cormorant is an East Coast bird. The DC is found all throughout North America. Thanks for commenting.

Steve B said...

Thanks for all the comments. I should point out the birds shot on the West Coast are strictly West coast birds and the Great Cormorant is an East Coast bird. The DC is found all throughout North America. Thanks for commenting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails