Monday, February 23, 2009

Life Bird, Brant

This is more of a documentation of a life bird for me than an “Ooooo-ahhhh” post. I was shooting Annisquam Light on last Tuesday morning. I’ve been on lay-off for the last week and will be on lay-off this week also. So while we all are waiting for the economy to be resuscitated, I’m shooting to keep my sanity.

I arrived at Annisqam when the tide was out. I saw some little geese out on the beach and to my delight, I had never seen these geese before. I was able to get within 50 yard to these geese. There seemed to be okay. As you can see, one is preening. There was another small flock down the beach about 150 yards away and they spooked and the geese I was working with flew off.

Brant ©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Brant ©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

I worked this flock for about 10 minutes and got 6 shots off. Annisquam beach is a favorite beach for people to walk their dogs, and a couple of minutes later, a couple of dogs came and the geese would have left anyway. But it was thrilling to see a life bird.

The two dogs were very friendly and came to say hello. Since I'm a guest in this neighborhood and it is a public beach, I'm totally fine with friendly dogs saying hello. In fact, they can add interest. One shot that I really, really wanted last summer was a man and his dog sitting on the rocks by the light watching the sun set. The man felt that he was ruining my shot and moved. Oh well!

Annisquam Light. ©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

For those that sat through my video from yesterday, this is Annisquam Light when the tide is half way out. The beach has great sand and give the photographer many angles to shoot.

11 comments:

Eve said...

Great life bird Steve!! I had a small flock of Brants fly over my car a few years back just as I turned onto my road! They were out of the ordinary here and it was just a thrill!
I love the dog on the beach shot too, reminds me of when I was in Maine in September.

Kelly said...

...have never seen a Brant...congrats on the lifer!

Kallen305 said...

I have never seen a Brant before either. Very cool looking goose. Kind of reminds me of a Canada Goose.

Roy said...

You get a lot of good light there Steve. I observed my first Black Brant recently as they are only a vagrant here this side of the pond.

Craig Glenn said...

Great shots of a new bird for me too. Never heard of them. Sorry to hear about the layoff. This is a scary time for everyone.

I hope you get called back to work soon.

The Early Birder said...

Sorry to hear about the lay off Steve...hope it's brief. Congrats on capturing Branta bernicla - Nice one.

Jenny said...

Great life bird moment Steve. They are such characterful geese, did you get to hear their soft Brrrrp like call? Lovely. Chuffed for you!

Steve B said...

Funny Eve, I'll probably see them all over the place now. The very next day I had a gaggle buzz me when I was shooting the Harlequins.

Yup Roy, I don't always get a life bird with my camera and good light!

I'm lucky Craig, I'll be going back to work next week. We are shut down for three weeks every quarter this year. I'm not complaining and I have the attitude that it is helping me and my buddies keep their jobs. But we have lost a lot of good people.

Hi Frank, that got me digging into my books a little deeper. I guess my friends from across the pond call this goose, Brent? My Waterfowl, An Identification Guide to the Ducks, Geese and Swans of the World list them as Brent. Branta bernicla. My American Bird Names dictionary says that Brant comes from Brent which comes from Anglo Saxon bernan, brennan "burned".

Gees Jenny, I thought that was me? No, I had some wind and surf brewing so the signal to noise ratio was low.

Mary said...

Steve, you always amaze me! Great Brant shots and I must say that last one of "man and his dog" is the best.

I wish you good days with your camera while you have the time.

Mary

Stacey Huston said...

See... there was good.... congrats on the life bird...!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I am so sorry to hear about the lay-off Steve. I sincerely hope things pick up for the better soon. What an awful situation to be in.

Related Posts with Thumbnails