Sunday, February 22, 2009

Go out shooting with Steve

This video below is a bit of an experiment. Folks ask me quite often how I do what I do. I thought it may be good fun to give you a chance to come along and see the sites. I’m not the world’s best landscape photographer, I get out of the house way to late for that. The best light is early, early in the morning and I’m not an early, early, early riser.

Friday was cold with a bitter wind blowing out of the west. We had a sleet and snow storm the night before which left two inches of snow. I left the house at 8:30 in the morning and headed out to do a photo shoot at Annisquam Light, here in Gloucester, Massachusetts.

For this photo shoot, I didn’t have an agenda other than seeing what was out in the universe that morning. In such cases, it is best to go out with the attitude that you’re going to have fun even though there was a cold bitter wind.



The section of audio that was lost to the wind at Annisquam Light is “So examining the, the landscape here a little bit, I think I can take a shot of both the lighthouse and the bridge, and the keeper’s house here with the rocks in the foreground. It may look more like a seven-ten split or a goal post shot when I get back and it will probably hit the garbage can but we’re going to try it anyway.”

The section of audio on Dogbar Breakwater that is lost in the wind is, "So here we are, we’re up on the breakwater and there are waves coming in. And salt water’s really hard on the gear. The wind’s blowing. And ya know, most of the time I come out on this thing, I get vertigo. Ya got the ocean pitching on one side, calm on the other and I just go ‘wooooh’. Let’s get out on here, find a spot that isn’t too salt spray and where I won’t get knocked on my butt [into] the water…we’re going to take a couple quick shots and get out of here."

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

23 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

A beautiful long post Steve with terrific shots and videao as well. Very interesting indeed. :)

The Early Birder said...

Great to go on the shoot with you Steve, appreciate your location plus I could do it from the comfort of home. Not sure I would be attempting to walk the breakwater in that wind & slippery underfoot!
Cheers Frank

Kathy said...

Steve I am amazed you were able to even stand up in that strong wind. Thanks so much for sharing such great footage. I really like the one where you were standing on the wall looking back at the lighhouse. LOL kinda my me a little queasy looking out at the strong waves. Can't imagine standing on that wall with the wind blowing that strong.

Eve said...

Steve...you've outdone yourself! This was just fantastic...thanks so much for taking us along. My heart was racing there for a minute out on the breakwater...and my thoughts went to Jenny from Frome...Jenny close your eyes!! I think you could do this again for sure, but wait until better weather, I feel like I owe you a case of hot chocolate. Beautiful photos and I really enjoyed the feeling of myself in your shoes thinking with you "oh there's a shot I should take" just as it pops into view. And the expected, inconvenient, truck forcing you to take a different view.
Great work!
Thank you!!

NCmountainwoman said...

Great to see the wonders of your area. I loved all of the photographs. Nice post.

Andy said...

TV spinoff of Survivorman!
http://www.survivorman.ca/
Survivor-cameraman

N1TOX said...

You are always going the extra mile to make everyones world a little closer with the fantasitc shots you take and now a video of how you do it. I bet the wind chill was near 10 F. As we are living in New England, it does have it's advantages and the shots always change from day to day. From the sky to the wildlife around it for example. Keep up the good work and sharing your universe with others. Great Job... Big Bro...

Kallen305 said...

Loved every mintue of the video Steve! I will never complain about having to go through mud and woods to get my photos again after seeing what you have to endure.

It was a lot of fun to see the video of you getting the photo and then seeing what the end result looked like. Such fantastic photos under such extreme weather conditions.

Steve B said...

Hi Joan, I was stunned when I saw how much video I took. Future posts will be a little shorter. It took me another 4-6 hours to put the piece together! It was a fun experience from shoot the material to posting to post.

Hi Frank, I’m glad you enjoyed the post. Next time if it is so long, I’ll warn folks to put the kettle on or go get a brew from the fridge.

Kathy, I waited for the tide to go out a little before I went out. Earlier in the morning at high tide, the waves were coming over. That is not time to be out there, but I’ve seen people do it!

Hey Eve, Thanks. I’ll be doing this again for sure. Perhaps I’ll go out when it is warmer and my brain isn’t shut down from being so frozen. (i.e. I won’t sound like such a Vermont Woodchuck).

Thanks NCMountainWoman, I appreciate the comment.

LOL Andy, That guy is nuts! I’m just a little left of crazy!

N1TOX is my big brother from Vermont. He just bought a Nikon D90 just to stay one step ahead of me. He came over last weekend with his wife and went to the fund raiser. It was good to have him over.

Thanks Kim! Glad you enjoyed it.

Steve B said...

Hey N1TOX, don't show this to mom or I'll be getting a phone call!

Kelly said...

That was very, very cool!! Thank you for putting all the time in it. It really makes a difference seeing the locations on video and listing to your descriptions. Loved it...and the still of the song sparrow too!

Roy said...

It was great to hear your voice Steve and that was really interesting and informative. The stills were brilliant as always. I dont think you will be getting a call from Steven Spielberg real soon though. {:)

Steve B said...

Hi Kelly, Glad you came along.

Hi Roy, LOL, not to worry, I have a day job!

It's Time to Live... said...

Great post as usual. Thanks

madcobug said...

Great pictures. I love lighthouses. Thanks for shareing. Helen

Jenny said...

Quite simply, you inspire me with this video and these photo to think more about my composition, whether it does any good or not is another matter! (-:
The first breakwater one is beautiful. By the way, Eve's comment about me feeling a queasy over your video is cos I've been suffering from a dizzy sensation in my head for over a year now. Nothing too drastic, but a pain none the less.

Jenny said...

Quite simply, you inspire me with this video and these photo to think more about my composition, whether it does any good or not is another matter! (-:
The first breakwater one is beautiful. By the way, Eve's comment about me feeling a queasy over your video is cos I've been suffering from a dizzy sensation in my head for over a year now. Nothing too drastic, but a pain none the less.

A New England Life said...

Really enjoyed this post Steve, and I know how cold it was out there because I was out there myself, but I'm not nearly as hardy as you are. So, if one of these days we don't hear from you anymore we'll know you were swept out to sea for goodness sakes!

Wonderful photos to go along with your video! Hopefully we'll see some warmer temps soon!

Bandmember15 said...

Hello my name is Kristen Whiting and I am entering the Federal Duck Stamp contest. I was wondering if you would mind if I used one of your Gadwall duck pictures. It would be much appreciated!

Steve Borichevsky said...

Hi Bandmember,
It all depends on how you intend to use the photo.

Bandmember15 said...

I would just use it as part of my drawing.

Steve Borichevsky said...

Yes, using my photo for as a reference for creating your drawing is okay. Thank your for asking. Please feel free to contact me by email, which you can find through my profile like above, if you need a little more resolution in the photo.

Bandmember15 said...

Okay, thank you so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails